1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to clean a dirty pet (non show) silkie?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by technodoll, Oct 29, 2009.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    My poor white fluffball is now BEIGE from dustbaths or I don't know what, she was clean before we deloused the flock last weekend but has been just filthy since... my other silkies are fine, it's just her that is beige.

She doesn't like being handled and has never been in the house, and the flock needs another delousing treatment this weekend.

Once this is done, how do I get her nice and white again without bathing her (which I have no intention of doing as it's freezing here already)?

Thank you!

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I have no idea, but just to throw out an idea I would think cleaner dust? Get her some playground sand to dust bath in.

3. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Yeah I did set up a dry sand box for them but she's not using it as far as I can tell... oh well hopefully the snow will soon clean her off [​IMG]

4. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I think they make some stuff for dogs that you shake on and the brush out to remove dander and oils. Sorry I'm not more help!

5. brandibaby23

brandibaby23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    I have been wondering about bathing a chicken myself, because I have a bantam that really smells bad!!!!! I am wondering if something may be wrong with her. because none of my bird ever really had a smell. Can you bath them with dawn dish washing soap???

6. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    actually you ARE a big help, I will go check this cleaning dust out [​IMG]

Merci!

(thank you)

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:You aren't going to get her "nice and white again without bathing her", so take her inside, put her in a sink, wash her thoroughly, blow dry her, and keep her in her cage until she's ready to be taken back out into the cold.

8. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    What if she rolls around in the snow, would that clean her off?

Hubby said no chickens in the house (our dogs are enough) and it's freezing outside so I don't have many options [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    its quite cold where i live right now, i bathed a chicken yesterday, quick wash in the sink (with dog shampoo). blow dried her for about 10 mins (perfectly dry) and put her back into the coop, no problems.

10. brandibaby23

brandibaby23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    can you lightly rub baby oil on their feathers after the bath???
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by