How to clean caked poop off week-old chick?

Nutcase

Songster
7 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Australia
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all! I recently got 8 week-old chicks (not a first-timer) and they all seem to be doing fine. However the smallest one has poop caked all over its butt and I am at my wits' end about trying to clean it off. I've managed to clean it to the point where there's no blockages to the vent but there's still a big lump caked on there, and if I try to pull it off she's quite obviously in pain. Does anyone have any quick fixes for softening the poop so I can clean it off? Thank you!!

Soak her in warm water until it softens. Then apply some sort of cream around the area if it's irritated.

Obviously, you should be sure to hold her head above water.

Coconut oil is one of the best items to have in your chicken first aid kit. It can be used both externally as well as internally. It has remarkable antibiotic and healing properties.

Take a little coconut oil, let it liquify in your hand, then gently massage it into the dried poop. Let it set a minute, then pull the poop off with a bit of toilet paper. Apply a bit more oil and work that in and remove what's left of the poop. What remains in the down and on the skin will help keep any more poop from accumulating.

If the chick continues to act as if it's in pain, it could be constipated, even if it's pooping some. You can pop a little dab of the solid oil into its beak, massage it down into its crop, and the oil should help break up any constipation blockage.

Coconut oil is one of the best items to have in your chicken first aid kit. It can be used both externally as well as internally. It has remarkable antibiotic and healing properties.

Take a little coconut oil, let it liquify in your hand, then gently massage it into the dried poop. Let it set a minute, then pull the poop off with a bit of toilet paper. Apply a bit more oil and work that in and remove what's left of the poop. What remains in the down and on the skin will help keep any more poop from accumulating.

If the chick continues to act as if it's in pain, it could be constipated, even if it's pooping some. You can pop a little dab of the solid oil into its beak, massage it down into its crop, and the oil should help break up any constipation blockage.

I followed your advice and this morning her little butt is as fluffy as it should be. Thank you so much :))

Hi all! I recently got 8 week-old chicks (not a first-timer) and they all seem to be doing fine. However the smallest one has poop caked all over its butt and I am at my wits' end about trying to clean it off. I've managed to clean it to the point where there's no blockages to the vent but there's still a big lump caked on there, and if I try to pull it off she's quite obviously in pain. Does anyone have any quick fixes for softening the poop so I can clean it off? Thank you!!
Hi, I would suggest to use little warm water with a cotton bud. thanks

Back
Top Bottom