how to clean crust butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by horsewishr, Feb 23, 2008.

1. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    I've got one chick with a thick crust on her hiney. She's only a week old, so I'm nervous about doing too much. Advice???

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I used a warm wet paper towel.... some folks put the chicken butt under warm running water - but mine wasn't TOO bad and I didn't want a wet chick.

3. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    ive never had to do it, but
    take a clean warm wet cloth, rag and dab its little booty till the poop comes off.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Oh and once it is clean, some folks will put a little oil or something on the chickies bum so the poop won't stick again in such a hurry!

5. horsewishr

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Ok, thanks. I'm glad I've got some latex gloves from work!!

6. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    horsewishr,
    This condition is called "pasting". Warm water and a soft cloth or paper towel spplied will soften it and eventually remove. Last night I had a number of them to do. I put on some disposable gloves and applied some warm water with a cloth until it was removed. I then dried them under the brooder lamp and they were no worse for wear. It is a very humbling experience to "clean those iddy bitty biddy butts".

7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Yep, I've been doing quite a few today myself. It's more common when they've gotten a chill during shipping. My last bunch I got in Sept only had 1 chick with a problems.

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] a little poop won't hurt........ give em a few months and there will be so much poop you won't even notice anymore! [​IMG]

9. horsewishr

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    It's all clean as a whistle now. Thanks. I just hope it stays clean.

10. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    I use wet paper towels in warm water and gently dab their bums until the stuff falls off. It is painstakingly long event (depending on poop pasted.) so find a comfy spot. [​IMG]

I did...I had to clean 5 in one night. [​IMG]

One of the chicks had to GO! Once I was done and turned my back for a bit, it pooped this huge turd on my hand and just jumped off!

[​IMG]

Pedro (Chick butt cleaner) [​IMG]

PS Also...I applied some olive oil with a Q-Tip around their vents and it has not reoccurred. (I was given this hint here.) [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by