How to clean kitchen floor?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by EweSheep, Dec 16, 2009.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Got this vinyl kitchen floor, probably made by Armstrong....off white with small blue squares on the corners of each square. It was not terrible expensive, bought it from Menards about five years ago.

Right now it is showing its age quite fast.....no longer shiny and dirt has been ground into the grooves and pockmarks (texture inside the squares) and harder to clean or to lift the dirt out of it. I've used vinegar and water, bleach and water, Swifter (worked once and didn't work the other three times I've used it) and Dawn detergent with water would get it cleaned but left the dirt behind those pockmark textures. Some of the gloss is gone, particuarly where the areas that the wooden floor showed thru, you can see the diagnonal lines across it. The wooden floor underneath was not in great shape but we did use wood putty to fill in the spaces, and cupped spaces.

If I have wore out that vinyl floor, then I would have to put down some tiles. Would it be acceptable to put down cement boards on TOP of the vinyl floorings? We are not worried about being the floor being up a little but sure beats tearing everything else out of it. We had totally redone the kitchen five years ago and not looking to tearing everything out again.

What would you suggest for this tired old floor? We would love to have tiles but wanted something that would stand up to heavy traffic and wear and tear and sometimes dirtied wet shoes. I do not want white tiles but we do have a "country" look in our kitchen with grey countertops and light brown oak cabinets along with white refigerator and stove. Once the stove and refigerator goes out, we will go stainless steel look. Soooooooo, would grey or dark grey with darker grey tile would work? What kind of tile?

2. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    Your vinyl floor will act as an underlayment if it is not coming up from the floor anywhere. If it is coming up in the corner's etc. just reglue it down.

Use regular ceramic tile over the vinyl. Whatever color you like. You will use an adhesive that is available where you purchase the tile. Go to Home Depot or Lowes, sometimes they even offer classes on laying tile, or will recommend a good tile setter.

Tile will run about $2.00 a square ft. Plus about the same or a little more to install it.

Good luck with your project.

DonnaBelle

3. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Lets have a pic of your kitchen first before any decisions are made re colour of tile....

If you really like the idea of a grey floor tile.. I would go for a mid grey with a dark grey grouting....

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If you see our fellow BYCer post, the last pic with her brood box, take a look at her floor, it is EXACTLY my kitchen floor. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=277672

I
    found out it was made my Armstrong Kentwood vinyl and at Menards it cost around 79 cents per sq foot. So at least you got the idea. Soooooooo I can put the tile directly on the vinyl floor? Would it stick or would it needed to be peeled off?

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    For some reason I can not download pic on this lap top. It is not communicating with each other at all. Not sure why it did since it had worked before [​IMG]

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] I have the same problem with my kitchen floor only my vinyl is around 30 years old..... [​IMG] It was also on the walls as a back splash - I pulled that off and began tiling it, but the floor! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] one of these days we can get on replacing that. I'd rather have bare cement at the moment that that cruddy vinyl.

7. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Some good friends of ours bought a house a few years back up in Houston. Nice house and beautiful tile floors. The agent had told them that they had recently put in all new tiles. Well, not sure what is under the tile, but they didn't rip out anything underneath. It isn't showing through and the floor is gorgeous still years later... but they cannot get the dishwasher out without either replacing the floor or ripping up the counter tops. This is a super big kitchen with super nice counter tops too. They had to have the dishwasher repaired many times because it was less expensive than remodeling. However, repairs on dishwasher were more expensive than a new one would have cost. Just watch out for how high raising the floor will affect your room. Otherwise I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I have no diswasher, just a stove and refigerator with plenty of space above it. It is a gallery style kitchen on one side and table and chairs on the opposite side. The kitchen cabinets are from above counter to ceiling.

9. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I have ceramic tile and LOVE IT. Mine's very light gray with dark gray grout. Super easy to keep clean. DBF has vinyl flooring. I scrub it with a scrub brush and a product called Totally Awesome mixed with warm water. You can get the Totally Awesome at the dollar store and it cleans EVERYTHING. Definitely lives up its name.

10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    When I had my house built a few years ago, the contractor tried talking me into vinyl "it wears great, and looks just like tile!". I said no, I want large tiles thruout the house, except the bed rooms (which was a mistake...the bedroom carpet is shot already; Ill replace it next year with tile). I LOVE it!!! Talk about easy cleaning. Sweep, mop with Pinesol, the house smells so fresh and brand new....and this with dogs and chickies in the house. You'll never regret it.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by