1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to clean out messy coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Silkie2, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Silkie2

Silkie2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    New England
    For some reason the coop gets full of cobwebs over the summer -not exaggerating- there is a BLANKET of cobwebs in the corner of the coop! How do I get rid of them?????? Also, underneath the roost, it has gotton full of poop!!!!! I usually use a shovel and shovel the poop into a wheel barrel and dump it in the compost, but there is A LOT of poop! I'll probably have to set aside a day for that lol (Yeah I should've stayed on top of the cleaning... :/ ) how do you clean out your coop? I have about 30 chickens so I would expect a lot of poop, but.... There is like a giant pile of poop.....
    (Sorry if this post might be a bit confusing, I'm not sure how else to word it)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I use a roost board with sand/PDZ and sift the poops out ever other day....they go to compost.
    Small doses or a huge one....up to you.

Pine shaving on floor get totally changed out once a year...have composted them in the past, this fall am going to shovel them out into the smaller run that doesn't get used in the winter...see how that works out.

3. Silkie2

Mar 1, 2016
    New England
    once a year!? i have to change out mine once every other month.
    i tried the roost board once, didn't work. Now that i have more chickens i have expanded the coop, i would need a VERY LARGE board which would not work. [​IMG]

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

5. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    I put a plastic tarp under the perches then once a week i dump it in the garden and replace or you can make a poop hammock

6. Silkie2

Mar 1, 2016
    New England
    I have a little over 30

7. chickenville1

chickenville1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am not sure if I can post a video link but here is me cleaning out my coop :)
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by