How to clean up 4 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken13, Mar 19, 2013.

1. chicken13

chicken13 New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    Hi, I'm new to this site and to having chickens. We have had 7 fully grown chickens for six weeks now and are having the best time with them, so much so, that we took on six chicks, two weeks ago now. They are four weeks old and living in a cage on our dining table. We live in Scotland, so, going by what I have read so far, they wont be moving to an outside coop anytime soon(-2 last night). I have about a million questions, but the important one for the moment is that I have a couple of roosting branches in the cage and two of the chicks are covered in poop, dropped on them from above. How can i clean them up? They are getting chick crumbs and nothing else but at least one of the chicks has very runny poop which is sticking all over anyone caught underneath. Any advice would be really appreciated.

2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    I sometimes give mine a water bath in the sink or tub. Just make sure the water is warm and you don't have to use shampoo and dry them off best you can before putting them back!

Scotland huh? That's cool!

3. chicken13

chicken13 New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    Thank-you for the advice, i was a bit nervous about getting them wet, so do i just dunk them in? Will i damage their feathers if i use a cloth to wipe the poop off? Also any idea what temperature i should be looking at before putting them outside?

4. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Yup just dunk them in but try not to get there heads to wet. Be gentle with the towel and you will be fine! That really depends on what you are putting them in when they move out!

5. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm also wondering how to clean chicks and way to ask if the same rule applies to silkies?

6. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Yes it does! It is actually a little easier with silkies!

7. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks! I wasn't sure about getting them wet with the different feather texture.

8. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    I give my boy a bath often!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  9. chicken13

chicken13 New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    I was just going to get a coop big enough for the six of them, the older girls are in a coop big enough for eight, so i was going to get the same again instead of trying to introduce them all to a bigger coop. I don't have any heat in the existing coop, but i guess heating is pretty easy to get. I love having them indoors but they are going to outgrow the cage they are in really quickly, and I don't really want to have to buy something bigger for indoors that they aren't going to use for long, but then again, it could be a good couple of months before we get any decent weather here.

10. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    The adults can certainly go outside now. But I wouldn't put out the little ones unless you have a heat source. Then Go For It!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by