How to clip spurs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pnp4kidz, Feb 4, 2011.

1. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Can some one give me the quick and dirty on spur clipping...
    My frizzle roo has some pin sharp daggers going on, they curve up and back, and are about 3 in. long (he's a banty!)
    he doesn't use them, but they are gonna hurt a hen if I don't cut them...
    thanks in advance... I don't want a blood bath like the poor Cuckoo roo gave me when he broke one!

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I use a Dremel tool with a sanding drum to shorten the spurs. I also blunt the toenails at the same time.

3. pnp4kidz

Oh good idea! How far back can I bring them? is there any line that I can't go past???

4. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Hot potato method- look that up. No bleeding, and the roos I have done- the spur does NOT grow back. Takes 3 min per spur!

5. pnp4kidz

Hmm.. what does the potato do?
    One post said that the potato caused it to bleed... and just twisting it off worked much better...
    I'm trying to get a grasp on what the heat does...
    does it loosen the tissue?

6. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Microwave potato until hot, put on spur to the base (push it on), set timer for 3-5 minutes. Then twist spur off with fingers. No bleeding, squawking or pliers needed. I have done it several times. The spur comes off like 'butter'. The potato cooks the living/growing part of the spur, so it does not grow back. What is left is the bone spur underneath- same thing that would be left if you brute force twisted the spur off with pliers- difference with the potato is that the tissue is killed and the cooked keratin spur slips off the bone rather than having to be brute force pulled/twisted off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by