How to combat mites on baby chicks??

Feb 3, 2021
Arizona
I just looked at my baby chicks that my momma hen has been raising for a few days now and I realized there were mites on them! I know that my hens had mites and lice but I thought I killed them all! I have separated them from their mom because that is were they probably got them from. Can I use DE or this insect killer that I got from the ffed store it says I shouldn't use it on chicks less than 10 days old. What can I use? We were thinking about washing their whole bodies in water to wash all the mites off but there mite be a better solution ( did you get my joke there? ).

ProZap Garden and Poultry dust is best for babies, effective on mom and coop too. No egg withdrawal and not harmful to human/chicken lungs. Work pinches of dust into feathers/fluff head to tail and vent area. Treat nest and coop by sprinkling into corners, crevices, bedding, floor. Best wishes!

I just looked at my baby chicks that my momma hen has been raising for a few days now and I realized there were mites on them! I know that my hens had mites and lice but I thought I killed them all! I have separated them from their mom because that is were they probably got them from. Can I use DE or this insect killer that I got from the ffed store it says I shouldn't use it on chicks less than 10 days old. What can I use? We were thinking about washing their whole bodies in water to wash all the mites off but there mite be a better solution ( did you get my joke there? ).
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear about your chicks. DE would not kill the mites, and "mite" actually irritate their respiratory systems. When my hens had mites, I doused them well in warm water mixed with Dawn to remove the mites, then used a Manna Pro enzyme spray to keep 'em away.

I'd follow what @KristHen posted as well.

ProZap Garden and Poultry dust is best for babies, effective on mom and coop too. No egg withdrawal and not harmful to human/chicken lungs. Work pinches of dust into feathers/fluff head to tail and vent area. Treat nest and coop by sprinkling into corners, crevices, bedding, floor. Best wishes!
If you have cats, just be sure they're not nearby the poultry dust. Can be toxic to cats. Its derived from chrysanthemums, who knew cats were allergic 🤷‍♀️

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear about your chicks. DE would not kill the mites, and "mite" actually irritate their respiratory systems. When my hens had mites, I doused them well in warm water mixed with Dawn to remove the mites, then used a Manna Pro enzyme spray to keep 'em away.

I'd follow what @KristHen posted as well.
Ok, I didn't know that de would hurt them.

Sadly my daughter left the poultry spray out in the sun so now I think it is bad. Right? Or can I still use it? It has been 100 so I think it is bad....:he

Back
Top Bottom