casportpony

🦚🦆🦃🐔
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
Have you ever wanted medicate a small chick or pigeon, but all your medications were in pill form and far too big to use on such a small bird? ? If so, this thread will teach you how to make your own compounded solutions.

Items needed:
  • Mortar and pestle
  • Suspension Syrup
  • Syringe

This is the mortar and pestle I use

This is the suspension syrup I use:

Treating pigeons for canker with metronidazole is almost impossible to do safely with pills, so what I do is take two of my 400 mg metronidazole tablets, grind them up and add 20 ml of the ORA-Plus Syrup to the powder. That gives me 20 ml of suspension with 800 mg of metronidazole, or 40 mg/ml.

Last edited:
Have you ever wanted medicate a small chick or pigeon, but all your medications were in pill form and far too big to use on such a small bird? ? If so, this thread will teach you how to make your own compounded solutions.

Items needed:
  • Mortar and pestle
  • Suspension Syrup
  • Syringe

This is the mortar and pestle I use

This is the suspension syrup I use:

Treating pigeons for canker with metronidazole is almost impossible to do safely with pills, so what I do is take two of my 400 mg metronidazole tablets, grind them up and add 20 ml of the ORA-Plus Syrup to the powder. That gives me 20 ml of suspension with 800 mg of metronidazole, or 40 mg/ml.

-Kathy

Thanks for sharing, this could come in handy even for adult poultry.

1f64b.png
1f44d.png
1f44f.png

Making your own Meloxicam

Two 15 mg pills or four 7.5 mg pills
20 ml of suspension syrup

This equals 1.5 mg/ml

Back
Top Bottom