How to convince a parent you need chickens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickenlover237, Nov 8, 2011.

1. chickenlover237

chickenlover237 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a question... How do you convince a parent that you need chickens? I want chickens SO BAD! my mom who I love very much is on board with the idea, so is my sister and 1yr old brother. (he watches chickens on YouTube and thinks they are hilarious) it's just my dad that needs a little more convincing. He is willing to sit and look at my coop plans and other things, when he's in a good mood but he still is not on board with the idea yet, any suggestions? We have plenty of room in our back yard and we have most if not all the building materials AND we have friends who want to get rid of some of their chickens.

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Well, you could talk to him about eggs...? My dad grew up with chickens so he didn't need too much convincing...I'm better with my mom. [​IMG]

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Choose a good moment and calmly ask him what his concerns are. Hopefully he'll tell you what is holding him back, but he may need some time to consider why he doesn't like the idea. My husband needed time and asked me to wait a year, so out of respect for him, I waited and when the next Spring rolled around, he still had reservations. His main issue is he didn't want the chickens roaming all over pooping all over the yard, so I promised to keep them confined to a roomy run and that was it, I got chickens.

Listen to his concerns and do some research on it and get back to him. Good luck!

4. chickenlover237

My dad also grew up with chickens he grew up with road island reds, my grandma (his mom) said he grew up raising them and caring for them so he knows a lot about them.

5. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Maybe he has bad memories of roosters chasing him as a kid. You could let him know that the hens are really cool pets.

6. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    With the economy the way it is, he may be concened about the cost of start up. Maybe you could start looking for a source of materials that could be repcycled into a coop and show him that you can get started with a smaller investment.

Best wishes!

7. chickenlover237

well my grandma (his mom) said they did not have roosters and here were we live it does not cost very much for feed. we have pretty much all of the materials needed we have a feeder a waterer, we have chicken wire, 2-4's, plenty of plywood, and people who want to get rid of some of their chickens. so there is almost no cost involved in getting them. she said he loved the chickens so I dont know why he doesnt want any.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Are you really responsible about your chores? Do them without being reminded? Do you feed and care for the family pets without being reminded?

Who is going to pay for the chicken coop and the chicks and all the feed? Do you have a source of income outside the family? Do you have a budget to show what it will cost and where the money will come from? Hard figures, not something you dreamed up out of thin air?

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Also, have you looked up your local law concerning poultry? Do you know whether or not it is legal to keep chickens? How about legal set-backs for coops and fencing? Do your plans comply with the law?

What about your neighbors? Are there going to be complaints about the birds?

What about noise? Can you maintain the birds so they aren't waking your parents and neighbors up at 4 in the morning?

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Tell him you need them to teach you responsibility. Explain the importance of self sufficiency. Tell him how much better farm fresh eggs taste. Explain that you will take care of them, and write up a contract stating such. I actually did this when I was 15 when I desperately wanted a puppy. I wrote up a contract that had the stipulation if I did not take care of said dog, it would be taken away. I had to pay for the feed, etc.

If you are the one that wants chickens, you should do extra chores (not just chicken chores), to make money to pay for all the chickens' needs.

Does he like gardening? You could tell him chicken poop is the best type of fertilizer! [​IMG]

ETA: OH! Forgot, when I wanted to raise mice (yes, gross, right?) I kind of made it into a science project. But Daaaaadddyyy.. Don't deny me the imperativeness of learning where my food comes from *insert pouty face here*

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by