How to convince my dad my broodiness is ok?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DKrueger4, Mar 9, 2013.

1. DKrueger4

DKrueger4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2012
    Michigan
    Ok, so here's what I have going on. My Buff Orpington hen went broody a few hours ago. She's in a wooden crate and safe in the barn. My dad is being all uptight about it's to cold for the chicks. Please help me explain that they will be ok.

2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Hens have been doing this for alot longe than us and alot of people hatch out during the winter! you can put a heat lamp in the shed if it makes you feel better and you can also give miced corn to rise the temperature of her broody pouche :)

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I had 2 hens go broody at the same time in the middle of Winter last year. I cannot pass up an opportunity for more chicks, especially if I have a hen willing to do the hatch, so I gave them both eggs to hatch. The hatches went very well and after about 2 days I moved them outside to the "broody pen". It was cold enough overnight to freeze the water in their waterer, but the hens had no problem keeping the chicks warm. We did not have to help a single chilled chick.

Make sure your hen really is broody before giving her eggs to hatch though. It's best to wait 2 days and check if she sleeps in the nest box as well. I've had a broody change her mind after sitting for one day only. It happens sometimes.

1 person likes this.
  4. Destinysma

Destinysma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Swisshome, Oregon
    My Buff Chantecler went broody at the beginning of January! I thought it was just too cold, and tried to break her of her broodiness. After 2 weeks of her determination, I decided to give her some eggs. She was the perfect broody mom, sat on those eggs day and night and hatched out 5 beautiful babies. She has been a great mom, also. Her chicks are now 6 weeks old, and she laid her first egg again today. She keeps them warm, she watches out for predators, and I am just so proud of her! She stayed in an un-insulated coop the entire time and did a great job!

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Don't forget that it takes three weeks to hatch chicks. Temperature then will be 50F days and the mother will warm them as they need it throughout the day and all night when it's cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by