How to convince my mom to let my hens brood?

SilkieAustralorpCrossKing

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2021
My mom won't let my hen sit on a clutch of 7 eggs cause my dog will get them but we have a brooder where she can raise her chicks. Any ideas on how to convince her?

Do you need baby chicks right now? Would you be able to keep all of them and find good homes for the ones you can't/won't keep?

I know my mom will often say a reason like that but she means something else (like a family I work with, the kids told me that their mom said no chickens because she doesn't like chickens, but the mom told ME that it's because the kids never took care of the chickens haha!)

Maybe ask her, is she afraid of the dog getting the eggs or the chicks, is she worried about that, or about having chicks in general? Ha w your explained to her that you have a fully secure brooder?

Well your Mom may know best.
More chickens means more feed and maybe bigger housing.
Also half of the chicks will be likely roosters which will be a problem later on.
Yes your dog may be a problem too. One chicken in a cage is one thing but what about chicks will they be safe and for how long as they grow?
Sorry, not the answers you are looking for.

There are a lot of things to consider before hatching out chicks. Do you have the space for more chickens? Can you afford to feed more? What will you do with the cockerels that hatch? They would have to have their own pen if you wanted to keep them all. That brings us back to: do you have specs for that, and can you afford to feed them all.

Not knowing anything about your dog, the brooder you want your hens to raise her chicks in, or what the rest of your setup is like, I would hesitate to encourage you to go against your mom’s wishes. (Even if I did know the answers to all that, if you’re a minor, you need to respect and listen to your mom.)

She is in the brooder but the chicks can squeeze through the main coop if the door doesn't get shut and they will probably go to my dads since he wants more chickens.

She is in the brooder but the chicks can squeeze through the main coop if the door doesn't get shut and they will probably go to my dads since he wants more chickens.
That's not a safe brooder then, a brooder needs to be so mom, babies and predators can't get in or out. Have you talked to your dad and asked if he wants 7 more chickens? Roosters or not?

So she took the eggs and she got off the nest (probably to eat) and we agreed on only 4 eggs to sit on. So I put them in the nest then herded her in and she sat on them instantly so case closed and its a win win!:yesss::wee

Back
Top Bottom