how to convince someone your eggs are OK?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silkeysandra, Oct 15, 2009.

1. silkeysandra

silkeysandra Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    grand prairie, tx
    or are they?
    I have had three friends and my dad turn down my (free) eggs. I'm not sure that the friends even eat eggs so there might be that, but I know my dad (bred in the country) eats eggs. He says he doesn't eat many eggs anymore, but won't even take home 6.
    1. We collect and wash the eggs thoroughly daily and put in the fridge.
    2. We have a large back yard with no pesticides ever where they play and eat bugs and weeds.
    3. We feed the hens plain feed store food and pretty much pamper the ladies.
    4. Their houses (individual rabbit cages with a roost, food and water) are cleaned every other day so no smelly chickey house. (we compost the poo!!!)

But:
    1. We have one dog who visits the back yard for 'business'.
    2. The birds are exotic bantums so the eggs are brown and small.

Is there something I should say about the eggs/hens, or be doing differently? It really bothers me to be turned down and I don't have anything to say except, OK.
    My picky daughter who is big on environmental things, and a smidge germophobic, is happy to take them home. So is my country girl friend. What's the deal with these other folks???
    Any help will be appreciated.

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Who cares what their silly little problem is...its theirs! And more eggs for you! I hate buying eggs and vow to never buy them again! I cant keep up with the demands for my freebies..so I started charging!

3. FaereChicken

FaereChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    N. Central Maryland
    People are odd. It's a good opportunity to examine your own feelings. Not much you can do about theirs. And if you get a HUGE overload of eggs, I'll bet there's food banks and soup kitchens that would be THRILLED to take them off your hands.

4. silkeysandra

silkeysandra Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    grand prairie, tx
    thanks for that idea on the food bank. right now, we've been scrambling them and freezing to use this winter. I'll see what they say.
    thanks.

5. BabaYaga

BabaYaga Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    People can be so weird! I have a friend who gave me free eggs for 2 years and I baked fresh bread for her family. Now she doesn't have laying hens and I do, so I'm delighted to be able to give her family fresh eggs.

I would say just enjoy your eggs and share them with people who are grateful to get them. Some people bake and freeze when they get too many eggs. No one turns down muffins!

There is a young adult book my girls read called Flipped. It has a chick on the cover and you read the boy's story from one direction, and flip the book over to read the girl's story from the other direction. The girl kept backyard chickens and gave the boy's family eggs every week for many months, (because she had a crush on him) but he threw them away! Because he didn't trust them. She caught him at it and was heart broken. Of course, he learns the error of his ways and falls in love with her and has to win her back. It's the only book I can think of with a character who keeps backyard chickens.

If my family lived nearby, they wouldn't eat my eggs. I just know it.

-Baba Yaga

6. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    I've got enough people who want eggs from our hens. I don't worry about the people who like to pretend their supermarket eggs grow on an egg tree out behind the store and get picked by elves.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Tell them to google "battery hens" and see where their supermarket eggs come from.

I have so many people wanting mine, that I can't keep up. Must.......get......more..........chickens. [​IMG]

8. chickndoglover

chickndoglover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Victoria, BC Canada
    I am also finding out how funny some people are. I just started with chickens this year and I am so happy about my multi-colored eggs. I take them to work (dog grooming) and I already have regular customers who love the eggs and look at my "brag" book of my hens! Then I had one last week that said "Can you take out the blue eggs, I don't know what they taste like". Also one of my employees took home a dz duck eggs to her parents and I was so disappointed to hear they went into the compost. Like I say some people are funny, they just dont know what they are missing, dont let it bother you, there are plenty of people who want them.

9. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    there's all kinds of funny things about eggs.. i've heard some peole wont eat the brown ones cause they thinl they're rotten..

i've also heard that brown eggs are better for you...
    don't know if that's tryue, but i'm thinking if brown layer A and white layer B are eating the same food, they're eggs are going to be the same??

i have to admit that i was a little wierded out with eating the very first egg i ate from my own chickens.. and i'm not sure i want to eat duck eggs or peacock eggs... but...
    like they said, you know your eggs are fine... if they don't want them.. so what...
    the church i go to shares a building with a hispanic church that has a lot of migrant workers and homeless members, every monday they have deliveries from various places that they dole out to the members who need it... when my girls get heavy into laying, i'm going to take my extras there with me on sundays and leave them for that church to hand out...
    granted, i'm not sure if i'll have too many extras... i've got people waiting for my hens to be laying. lol..

10. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    My brother, who built my coop and has no problems handling the chickens, won't eat anything but store-bought eggs. One of the things he loves to do is grow tomatoes, but he doesn't eat them - just gives them away. BUT, he has no problem hunting (deer, elk, & antelope) and fishing for food. I love him dearly - but have never been able to figure out where he got these phobias/fetishes from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by