How to convince wild chicken to go inside?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by The Fairy Godmartyr, Dec 5, 2013.

1. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Two nights ago, I saw a random chicken looking into my run. She was back in the morning, so I let my girls out for awhile and eventually was able to shut the stray chicken in with my girls. I have since found out from neighbors that she has been living wild for at least a little while. I'm pretty sure she is a game hen.

My girls have tolerated her with minimal squabbling so far, but I'm pretty sure she has yet to go into the coop. I know she didn't sleep inside last night. I'm pretty sure she slept under the coop, since it is on a slope and the front half is raised, creating some shelter underneath. I have put food and water outside of the coop for her.

My problem is that the weather is supposed to get NASTY tonight. Sleet and ice, then several inches of snow. If it were just snow, I wouldn't be as worried. Snow doesn't really get under the coop. But the ice probably will. I don't know what to do to keep her protected. I've thought about setting up a dog crate with pine shavings and covering it with a blanket, but that would still get wet.

Any ideas? I know I can't catch her. She is still terrified of people.

[​IMG]

This is her.

2. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    She will be terrified of people for a long time. I would just set out a wooden box of some sorts, under your coop(?) Put some scratch in it. She'll be fine, especially if she has already been outside for a whole winter. She looks like my game hen. We got 13 half wild 6 week old chick games back in 2011. She is the only one I have left. I still can't just walk over and pick her up.

Good luck with her!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If there was a way you could put a dog crate up on blocks in the run with a plastic tarp on top and around the sides, she would probaly get into that after dark. Then you could go out, close it, and put the crate into the coop without the tarp. Leave her in the crate for a week inside the coop and then she should start going in on her own. This would also work if you have a covered run, and put a roost out for her tonight--then grab her after dark off the roost.

4. IttyBiddyRedHen

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    [​IMG]
    These were the 3 games I had left this spring. Now I only have 1. They do make great broodies though.

5. The Fairy Godmartyr

Aug 7, 2010
    I tried making her a little mini-coop out of a plastic tub. I can't fit it under the coop, but I have it on the side most sheltered from the wind. It will be up to her to figure out that it will protect her better than under the coop, though. Here's hoping.

[​IMG]

6. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    I have some chickens that r standing out in the rain. What is wrong with them? Why wont they go in where its dry? I thought chickens didnt like rain.

7. IttyBiddyRedHen

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    Chickens.....just do strange things.

8. The Fairy Godmartyr

Aug 7, 2010
    Poor girl...I just went out to check on her since it was starting to get dark. She was trying to go in through the pop door, and the others chased her back out. She did start inspecting my little bed, though. :fl

9. IttyBiddyRedHen

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    Kewl. I hope she decides to use it. [​IMG]

10. The Fairy Godmartyr

Aug 7, 2010
    She's in the coop!!! :celebrate

Now, do I close the pop door for the whole night? I normally leave it open, but we do have a light in there right now, so they could try to mount a mutiny in the middle of the night. As it is, she is up on a roost alone and most of the rest of the flock is protesting by bedding down on the floor. Ridiculous birds. :rolleyes:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by