how to create blue breasted gold duckwing

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pokey, Jun 19, 2011.

1. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    I ran across a blue breasted gold duckwing.very pretty.what colors are needed to produce this color?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:i say gold ducking and spalsh

3. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I have had pullets that colored out blue duckwing. I sold them because they had tails. Every time a blue chipmonk hatchs, I hold my breath for a rumpless blue duckwing. Mine have colored out with salmon breast with blue and silver body. They are coming out of my pen that has a golden duckwing roo with too much red and some blue going on, over a black breasted red hen whose mom was a blue hen with a columbian gene. So it is a real miss mash. I will take pics next time I get one.

Lanae

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:In the crosses below you must use the males and females as I have posted. This will insure that you have the correct coloration in the females. DO NOT USE A SPLASH MALE in the first cross- he could be carrying silver which would complicate the crosses. You could use blue females in the first cross and you will have to hatch 2x the number of chicks to get the F1 blue females.

Gold duckwing male X splash female = F1 blue offspring ( hatch enough birds to get 2 or three females)

Gold duckwing male X F1 blue females = some F2 melanized blue breasted red females, the rest of the birds will be other varieties ( hatch 20 chicks)

Gold duckwing male X F2 melanized blue breasted red females = both male and female blue breasted red birds plus other varieties ( hatch 20 chicks)

You have to hatch a substantial number of chicks in the 2nd and third cross to get the variety and sex you want. If you only hatch a few chicks you may not get the chicks in the coloration and or sex that you want.

To get only blue breasted red offspring from a cross you will mate a splash breasted red ( looks like a red pyle) with a black breasted red.

Mating a blue breasted red to a black breasted red will produce blue breasted red and black breasted red offspring.

Crossing blue breasted red to blue breasted red will produce some splash breasted red, some black breasted red and some blue breasted red

Tim

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  5. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    Can I use a khaki or dun bird in the first cross?

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    No-you will not get blue birds.

You will produce fawn red.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by