How to create new colours (Questions)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MrNappy, Jan 10, 2013.

1. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    Sorry, some people might be misleaded to think i'm going to educate you how to create new colours, which i'm not. (I'm Canadian we say 'colours' eh)

So i have a white coturnix hen (she has some wild feather (1 or 2) on her head) and if i mate her with a male golden or a male wild, can i create tuxedo?

Also i have a male black button quail, he has red around bottom (is that only male), he has the wild colour (which coturnix have) on his head, how can he have that?

Also, will black male button and female white button make a tuxedo? (Is it possible)

Thanks, in advance

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  2. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I used to breed Texas A&Ms similar to the white Coturnix you described and goldens. They didn't create tuxedo, more of a splash with a nearly all white bird that had golden spots on its head and back... very pretty. I suppose each individual bird will have varying amounts of white so maybe if you selected the birds with the least amount of white and bred them back to goldens you might get tuxedo? As for button quail, I've never tried it but I used to sell white ones and one customer told me she used my whites for her colored quail to get tuxedo. She told me it took her four generations to get the perfect bird.

3. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    Quote:
    So, judging from that, you'd need an A & M or english white with a tibetan.
    But on a side note, is the British range an actual range of quail or just one type?

4. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    So only with a tibetan not pharoah?

5. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    I wish I could say, but so far, that's all I know, sorry.
    I don't know what will happen with pharoah x white, but I'm gonna try. I have a male brown pharoah who will hopefully go with my white female if they don't get scared of each other (they were injury buddies and lived together for a week).

If pharoah is part of the British range, then it might work. I'm still new to quail genetics, so I don't know exactly what they mean by 'British range'. ^.^"

But judging by the colourations, a tuxedo looks like a english white x tibetan mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by