how to cull a chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chik-N-Crazy, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Chik-N-Crazy

Chik-N-Crazy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    Currie, NC
    Ok, I know this is a bad subject buy I have a couple of chicks that I need to cull, as bad as I hate the thought of it. I read on here somewhere about putting them in a container and letting them breath vapors. I remember one thing being ether, but was the other by mixing vinegar and baking soda?
    Thanks for your help...

2. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Yes it is vinegar and soda... put them in a small bowl with a lid that has the stuff already in it.

3. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    If I had to cull a chick I would just cut it's head off. Letting them breathe vapors takes longer and makes the chick suffer, that seems mean to me. The quicker the better.

4. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I did what someone on here told me to do and put mine in a small paper bag and put it in the freezer. They said it would get chilly, sleepy and die in its sleep.

I left it there for a few hours before checking on it. It was in the same position as it had been sitting in when I put it in there. Didn't looked stressed or anything, just sleeping. I couldn't bring myself to cut its head off, so I went with this method.

5. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    quicker the better! gassing them reminds me of auschwitz

6. Chik-N-Crazy

Chik-N-Crazy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    Currie, NC
    Thanks for all the help. I did do the soda and vinegar. These chicks were in such bad shape that I'm sure it wasn't but a few breaths. It was hard for me to decide, but I guess the realty is that's part of rasing chickens. I just hope it's a long time before I face this again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by