How to cure a poisoned chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dumpy, Oct 9, 2013.

  1. dumpy

    dumpy New Egg

    3
    0
    7
    Oct 9, 2013
    One of our hens has suddenly become very lethargic and can't walk very well (she can't extend her toes properly). A white mushroom cap was found nearby without a stalk and we assume that the chicken has eaten a poisonous mushroom. Is there any way to create a purge or do we have to wait and see?
     
  2. Eggcessive

    Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

    29,244
    3,297
    491
    Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most of the time chickens won't eat poisonous plants and usually ignore mushrooms. Some diseases like botulism and Mareks disease can affect them neurologically. However if you think she ate the mushroom you can do a flush with epsom salts and water (1 tsp in 1 ounce water,) or with molasses and water (1 ounce in 1 quart water,) or 1/2 tsp of castor oil. Good luck.
     
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  3. BantamLover21

    BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

    23,605
    1,314
    396
    Jul 24, 2013
    How quickly did this problem come on? If over a period of a few days, then I would suspect another cause, like Marek's disease or a vitamin deficiency. If it really was sudden, though, it is certainly possible that she has been poisoned (though I am not a mushroom expert, so I have no idea if the mushroom you found was poisonous).

    The only way that I know of to help a poisoned bird is to flush its system and get the toxin out of the body as fast as possible. There are two types of flushes (that I know of): A molasses flush and an Epsom salt flush. Both will work fine as long as the bird drinks enough of them.

    Epsom salt flush:

    1 teaspoon Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) in 1/2 cup of water, poured or squirted down the bird's throat twice daily for 2-3 days (or until the bird recovers).

    Molasses Flush:

    Four tablespoons molasses per 1 quart of water, given for no longer than 8 hours.
     
  4. Wyandottes7

    Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

    20,569
    1,158
    391
    Jul 24, 2013
    I don't think that the mushroom caused her to be like this. She could have Botulism, or another disease. I'd give her a molasses flush to help draw the poisons out of her body. The flush consists of four tablespoons of molasses in one quart of water. Give the flush for no more than twenty-four hours.
     
  5. dumpy

    dumpy New Egg

    3
    0
    7
    Oct 9, 2013
    It took an hour from the chicken to be acting normally to go to this state
     
  6. BantamLover21

    BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

    23,605
    1,314
    396
    Jul 24, 2013
    In that case, I'd say she's poisoned by the mushroom or has Botulism poisoning.
     
  7. dumpy

    dumpy New Egg

    3
    0
    7
    Oct 9, 2013
    Opened the coop today and all is well. Seemed fine except for an excessive appetite so can only assume that whatever it was has passed. Thanks for the advice
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by