how to cut top of cooler lid

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozzie, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ozzie

ozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    For those of you who've used coolers as your homemade incubators, how did you cut the hole on the lid for the perspex/glass insert? I've only ever use the styrofoam boxes and am thinking of upgrading. Do you just drill holes in the corners big enough for a jigsaw blade and then cut? Is it easy to cut?

thanks in advance,
    ozzie

2. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i use a skill saw. you know, the hand held circley ones?

3. ozzie

Nov 12, 2007
    You mean a circular saw? Don't have one of them (yet) [​IMG]. Wondering if the jigsaw will suffice? Thanks for the suggestion.

ozzie

4. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    a dremel will work as well. there are little saws you can buy for them. if you don't trust yourself with them you can just use the dremel to make cuts wide enough for your jigsaw to work. i'm sure the jigsaw will work just fine as well

5. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    I'm sure a jigsaw will work just fine. I've used mine to cut plastic many times before. Like you said, drill 4 holes for your corners and connect the dots.

6. ozzie

Nov 12, 2007
    Thanks. I was worried that it was really hard to cut but I've cut perspex with it before (and wood) so I guess it should be similar - I wasn't sure what was inside the 'walls' of the cooler and how 'hard' it would be.

Off to get a 2nd hand cooler!

ozzie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by