How to deal with a bully

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazychick26201, Sep 30, 2013.

1. crazychick26201

crazychick26201 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    West Virginia
    I have 4 Buff Orphs who are 6 months old. Even though the pecking order has changed around a bit, they all have gotten along pretty well until they started laying. Now they are pecking and chasing the runt. I thought I read somewhere that I could spray the bully with water when she went for the others, but can't find it anywhere. I am new to chicks. This is my first experience. We had been gone for a week and they had to stay in the coop/run. I am guessing boredom and frustration started this. Will they stop? I am worried that my little runt will get pecked to death.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. crazychick26201

crazychick26201 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    West Virginia
    Thanks, Sumi. I read the link and tried the can idea yesterday. I think it will take a few days. I had no idea this all would be so stressful. Thank goodness there are people out there that can share good advice besides the stewpot idea. I live in an area where if people have chickens they have a large flock and no one I know has just four. So I would appreciate others who have had similar experiences sharing with me.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've dealt with bullying behaviour in my old flock, years ago. I can't remember how many chickens I had at the time, around 70 I think, and one little hen was getting beaten up on a regular basis. I got tired of it quickly, so I started spending more time in the run. Every day for a few minutes or half an hour I devote solely to that little hen. I'd make sure she eats and gets enough food and then I'd sit with her on my lap and make a fuss of her, which she loved. The rest of the flock got told off sharpish when they messed with her. That little hen thrived with the extra attention. Within days she became more assertive and the others backed off and left her in peace within 2 weeks. I can't tell you why or how it worked, but it did. My experience was probably unique, but give it a try. You never know, it may work with your situation. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by