How to deal with cold weather - from the ducks perspective! LOL

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Dec 12, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    We have freezing temps this morning. Have emptied the ducks water and refilled it three times because they are freezing over, and they (the ducks), of course, prefer to be outside in the freezing temps and drink out of the containers that are freezing (inside the house has water source that is fine - even warm). Trip number 3 to take some warm water to them. Ducky response. All six pile in the 18 inch wide, 6 inch deep container for a warm dip. Wish I had had a camera....time for another trip with more water, because six ducks in a small container means there is no water left! Yes, Spoiled ducks!

2. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Don;t feel bad....

mine got my heating pad...

3. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Now there's an idea I hadn't thought of! LOL

4. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    I feel your pain... my ducks would rather be outside in any weather than inside.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I had ducks swimming in the water bowls most of the week despite negative temps.

6. runnersrunn

runnersrunn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    I got a heated dog dish, so i don't need to crack ice, smaller but they can swim all day without me having to go out there.

7. pekinsRus

pekinsRus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    What kind heated dog dish?[​IMG]

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

How dare you start a thread without pictures of your ducky cuteness?!! [​IMG]

My ducks will not swim! [​IMG]

9. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Quote:I wish I had had a camera available. I did take pics the next day when they were slip sliding away.

[​IMG]

They were considerably quieter day two - plus in the background you can see where they found just a little bit of open water. The pond is entirely frozen today, so I didn't let them down there. No sense in just frustrating them!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I saw that picture! [​IMG]

Your ducks are so cute!

I have a kiddie pool inside my barn that I break ice every morning. They will not go in it. They would rather make a mess of my regular chicken waterer. Come spring I am definitely going to look into nipple waterers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by