How to Deal with the Loss of a Beloved Chicken.

Dec 7, 2020
Hi, If anyone has any idea how to deal with the loss of a beloved Pet Chicken, it would help! My Beautiful Bantam-Silkie Rooster has passed away and I can't stop grieving.

I few days ago I noticed my Rooster was acting a bit strange. I kept my eye on him for a bit, because my two of my beautiful hens had passed away and it was horrible. the day before he was acting normal, flirting with his girls and running with him so I thought he was fine. But the day after he was lying in the nesting boxes. I let my chickens out the pen to roam the yard and he followed because he had to protect his girls. When I went out to check on them, around 20-25 mins later, he was lying under the picnic table, dead. I cried so hard. I saved some of his feathers and we had a funeral for him. I said all the good times we had together and finally had to put him in the ground. We laid him in a box and wrote the name of all his girls on the side so they could always be with him and lined the bottom with tissue paper and wrapped him up. we buried him near were we had buried our two hens that had died. I spent the rest of the day down at the grave and curled up in my bed, clutching his feather and crying. He was the most friendly rooster. He loved corn and would eat it straight from the spoon, instead of off the ground. He also loved his girls and was very protective of them. i can't stop crying. We later discovered he likely ate Cat litter, which made him sick, which makes it even worse! I just can't get happy knowing my beautiful baby is dead. I miss his crowing in the morning and watching him prance around the yard. It's so close to Christmas, but I can't even think about being Merry! Worst of all, my mom wants me to get rid of our flock, since they keep on dying. I can't lose the rest of my girls too! She is telling me to get over his death, it's just a chicken, but he was more than that to me. He was my baby. If anybody has any tips, please let me know!

I am sorry you lost your beloved birds. :hugs

It might help you if you sent the next one in for a necropsy, in case another one dies. To know the exact reason for their deaths would maybe enable you to prevent further deaths in your flock. Or the results might show that there was just nothing you could have done to prevent it. Either way, a necropsy can help you to cope with the stressful situation.
Thank you for the tip! I was researching what cat litter might do to a chicken , when on this sight ,at a reply, it said some chickens ate cat litter and were fine. Thank you again for the support!

I am sorry you lost your beloved birds. :hugs

It might help you if you sent the next one in for a necropsy, in case another one dies. To know the exact reason for their deaths would maybe enable you to prevent further deaths in your flock. Or the results might show that there was just nothing you could have done to prevent it. Either way, a necropsy can help you to cope with the stressful situation.

Hi, If anyone has any idea how to deal with the loss of a beloved Pet Chicken, it would help! My Beautiful Bantam-Silkie Rooster has passed away and I can't stop grieving.

I few days ago I noticed my Rooster was acting a bit strange. I kept my eye on him for a bit, because my two of my beautiful hens had passed away and it was horrible. the day before he was acting normal, flirting with his girls and running with him so I thought he was fine. But the day after he was lying in the nesting boxes. I let my chickens out the pen to roam the yard and he followed because he had to protect his girls. When I went out to check on them, around 20-25 mins later, he was lying under the picnic table, dead. I cried so hard. I saved some of his feathers and we had a funeral for him. I said all the good times we had together and finally had to put him in the ground. We laid him in a box and wrote the name of all his girls on the side so they could always be with him and lined the bottom with tissue paper and wrapped him up. we buried him near were we had buried our two hens that had died. I spent the rest of the day down at the grave and curled up in my bed, clutching his feather and crying. He was the most friendly rooster. He loved corn and would eat it straight from the spoon, instead of off the ground. He also loved his girls and was very protective of them. i can't stop crying. We later discovered he likely ate Cat litter, which made him sick, which makes it even worse! I just can't get happy knowing my beautiful baby is dead. I miss his crowing in the morning and watching him prance around the yard. It's so close to Christmas, but I can't even think about being Merry! Worst of all, my mom wants me to get rid of our flock, since they keep on dying. I can't lose the rest of my girls too! She is telling me to get over his death, it's just a chicken, but he was more than that to me. He was my baby. If anybody has any tips, please let me know!
your mothers like mine she seems heartless because she doesnt know that they were part of YOUR family. even if they "dont" like you, you still love them. sorry for your loss. its the worst when they die alone and your not there. but your lucky, my other and father are "too busy" for a funral. but really, they dont care... i allways try to have them die when im there so they dont feel aone... again i know how you feel and im sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom