How to decide what it is and how to treat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CrazyChickens09, Feb 11, 2013.

1. CrazyChickens09

CrazyChickens09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    I posted a few day ago about my six day old chick being really lethargic and super super watery poop? I took him off pine bedding and gave it vitamin/electrolyte water and now he is acting like a normal chick except he still has super water poo! Temperature is 95 in the brooder and has plenty of room to get away from the heat. He is being fed medicated chick feed. Someone told me it is coccidisiosis(sp?) and to use coraid. Yet someone else posted about their chick having sour crop with the same symptoms. How do I figure out what is causing the very water poop?

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    If he doesn't have a perpetually swollen crop, eats and drinks, it likely isn't sour crop. I had pasty vents in the past using medicated chick starter. You might try a non-medicated organic chick starter and use Corid (Amprolium) in the water when the chicks are more than a week old. There is debate on how often to use the Corid in the water and how much. I will use 5ml per gallon. Some people say two weeks before they are exposed to the outside ground. Much depends on how sanitary your brooder set up is. Also, some people just feed chick scratch for the first day or two to prevent pasty butts and use Sav-A-Chick or some comparable vitamin/electrolyte/probiotic in the water.

3. CrazyChickens09

CrazyChickens09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    OK.. thanks Michael

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by