AbbyRoseChickLover

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2017
This is my 3rd time incubating eggs . First time was a success, second one was a fail due to humidity. Today is day 18 and "lockdown day". I added water to the first and second trough as the incubator manual suggests. Now im scared the humidity is too high and the temp is too low. The temp is 35.7 Celcius last time i checked and humidity is 80%! I heard it can drown the chicks once they hatch and ive been switching out towels every hour or so to decrease humidity . The humidty levels until day 18 were 30%-50% . I also heard that if humidity was dry for first 18 days its fine for humidity to be above normal (which is about 65-75%) but i am very scared because the last hatch failed due to humidity being too low. And I've also read its bad for the eggs to be wet , mine are wet a tiny bit on the bottom. PLEASE HELPPP I dont want to drown my chicks :hit

Attachments

• 20839291_1853380351645249_380962717_n.jpg
    20839291_1853380351645249_380962717_n.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 152
They drown from too much moisture inside the egg; that is, they didn't lose enough during incubation.

Take the eggs out and take water out and then put them back. They'll be fine. I use a tupperware lid with a piece of rag laid on it instead of the wells because it's easier to add and remove water that way.

Go to Walmart and get one of their digital hygrometers. about eight or nine dollars .put it inside the incubator. it will work fine and will tell you the temperature and humidity. last time I checked they were over by the automotive department and tool department. I have four or five of them and they're just great .I put one on the bottom of the incubator and one near where the eggs are. they're great little hygrometers.
Best ,
Karen

I have a second thermometer for accuracy but my thermometer hygrometer says that its 38.3 Celsius which is 100.94 Fahrenheit. but my other thermometer says that its 96 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, the humidity got too low and now it's at 55% . I put a water bottle that was cut in half in the incubator and filled it up with water. I tried to turn up the temp but I've turned it up so many times and both thermometers are still off and it seems hot enough when I had to put in the water bottle

What kind is your second thermometer? If it's a digital air temp one, those can be off since they are not made to be as accurate food and medical thermometers. If it is a food, medical, or aquarium thermometer have you checked it in a cup of ice with a bit of water to ensure it reads 32°F?

Back
Top Bottom