How to detect Blackhead?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by rainnotebook, May 11, 2010.

1. rainnotebook

rainnotebook Songster

Oct 19, 2009
    Northern AZ
    I know some places do not have blackhead and I want to know if I do. I have turkeys and would like to keep them with my chickens, but I don't know if I can (or should). If there is a post about this please direct me, I couldn't find it.

Also what is blackhead and can it be treated?

2. Try contacting your local agriculture office and ask them if its in your area.

3. rainnotebook

rainnotebook Songster

Oct 19, 2009
    Northern AZ
    Great! Thank you both so much!

4. rainnotebook

rainnotebook Songster

Oct 19, 2009
    Northern AZ
    So I called my local agriculture and the lady at the desk said she didn't know anything about blackhead but she would find out and have them call me back.

Well I just got a call back from the "main guy" there and he said that I must have misunderstood everyone. He said that blackhead affects cattle and not fowl. I asked if he was sure because I was told that chickens aren't affected but can spread it to turkeys. He said "nope doesn't affect fowl"

So what the heck?

5. Stina

Stina Songster

May 6, 2009
    Allentown, PA
  6. rainnotebook

rainnotebook Songster

Oct 19, 2009
    Northern AZ
    Maybe... either that or he sucks at his job. [​IMG]

He also said that blackhead is everywhere. Which if it was... why would I ask?

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:He was probably talking about "blackleg" which is a disease of cattle.
    http://cattletoday.info/blackleg.htm

For blackhead in poultry I'd contact the ag college at the University of Arizona. I'd give you a link, but I'm finding their website to be difficult. You'll want to speak to someone in their poultry department. Chances are you'll be better off to get that person's e-mail addy.

8. OmaBird

OmaBird Songster

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    Quote:Maybe your Ag is not familar with Blackhead in turkeys because you live in a arid climate like I do. We don't get blackhead here in the desert.

9. OmaBird

OmaBird Songster

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by