How to deter predators?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chicks Galore3, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Saw my first skunk yesterday, (Tis the season 'round here!) and I'm wondering what I can do to deter them. Lights? certian smells? (I've heard skunks don't like ammonia) I have a group of crows WHO I LOVE! Haven't had hawks in a while. [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    As a kid, on skunks (they eat chicks and eggs) I usually used a .22 caliber rifle. A good face mask, a long pole with a hook to carry it and a deep hole to bury it.[​IMG]

3. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    I would suggest not using ammonia, as that is toxic to many animals, including chickens.

4. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I shoot skunks, I haven't had them spray overly bad when shot but usually a little stink leaks out and lasts a few days. We have also live trapped them and shot them. Some folks will live trap them and drown them in the trap, throw it in a stream or a garbage can full of water, that way it can't spray but I don't care to drown anything, even disgusting animals like skunks. Other than that the best way to avoid skunks is probably to make sure there isn't any food around to attract them, garbage, etc.

5. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    blucoondawg- I agree. I've got several skunks and shot them...they are stinky! But I don't think that is a good enough reason to drown them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by