How to determine the cause of death.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 3 NH reds, Oct 3, 2013.

1. 3 NH reds

3 NH reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    I have 2 year old layer that had a pale comb and her head was pulled back. Last night I rubbed the crop to see if it was clogged and found nothing. This morning she is dead. None of the other birds show any problems. The only other thing I saw last night was hard breathing. How can I determine the cause of death or should I just say she was 2 years old and leave it at that.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss... You could do your own necropsy, which can be very interesting if you have the stomach for it or you could FedEx her to a lab for one.

Antech Diagnostics

[​IMG]
    595 Columbian Street, Weymouth MA
    Follow companyFollowingUnfollow company
    Testing Laboratories

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  5. 3 NH reds

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    Thanks for the links. I had already put the bird in the freezer but I did email to find out the costs of having this done..I added extra ACV to the water and put extra diatomaceous earth in the food just to be safe.She was a good layer. I have some eggs in the incubator as we speak from my mixed layer coop anticipating losses as the flock ages.

6. 3 NH reds

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by