How to deworm tapeworm?

misshell

Songster
May 30, 2020
Livermore, California
My chickens have tapeworm segments in their stool. I bought a dewormer specifically for tapeworm. There was some bread in my fridge. I filled up small pieces of the bread with small doses of the dewormer, but they didn’t want anything to do with it. They were very hungry too. I purposely did not feed them this morning so they wouldn’t be picky, but they still were. There are eight chickens total in the flock. My four sex links were great and let me pick them up and administer orally. My buff Orpingtons were terrible. They were screaming bloody murder. When I did grab hold of one, she refused to cooperate while her sisters came running up to us to see what the heck I was doing. They are driving me nuts! Any tips??

Last edited:
What dewormer do you have?

Go out early while they are still roosting. Have your meds already drawn up into syringes. Grab a hen off the roost, dose her, put her down, grab the next and continue on.

Bread and meds usually does not work very well :)
Why didn’t I think of this? Thank you! My buffs are beautiful, but very snobby. I ended up running out of the dewormer trying to get them to take it and threw away the box so forgive my spelling if it’s wrong. It was called praziquantel. I have to get another one tomorrow.

Mine fall for the bread trick.
Try hanging her upsidedown by her legs. Typically they settle down quickly and even open their beak. Have an assistant dose her, with your free hand hold her beak closed, flip her over while still holding on to her legs, give her 30 seconds and let her go.

Mine fall for the bread trick.
Try hanging her upsidedown by her legs. Typically they settle down quickly and even open their beak. Have an assistant dose her, with your free hand hold her beak closed, flip her over while still holding on to her legs, give her 30 seconds and let her go.
Oh wow... ok. They take off running from me, so if I can grab her. I’m also a single mom. My only help would be my five year old and I don’t want him around them right now even though he would LOVE to hang a chicken upside down, lol.

Btw- I love your profile picture.

Back
Top Bottom