How to discourage chickens from pooping in living area.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by crazzzymike13, Mar 9, 2013.

1. crazzzymike13

crazzzymike13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    I built a chicken tractor last year. The chickens never poop outside, they poop inside where they sleep. The shelter part is like 4 ft by 3 ft. I've heard the wont poop where they nest? Maybe if I fill it with hay maybe it will discourage them from pooping? Or maybe put their feed in there? Any ideas?

1 person likes this.
  2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    They poop when they sleep. They won't, usually, poop in the nest.

3. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Make sure the nest part isn't higher than their roosts. Chickens naturally go higher for safety. Are there predators harassing them to make them stay inside so much?

4. crazzzymike13

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    No predators. They won't roost. I put a roost in there so i could put a tray underneath them so I could dump it every week. They sleep on their poop. I hate that because I don't want them to breathe that junk. Maybe I could fill the hole living area with hay and maybe they won't do that.
    [​IMG]

5. Cknldy

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    You have a very nice set up! Have u tried going out at dusk when they're bedding down and put them on a roost? One of my rir girls tried to sleep on the ground in a corner of the coop when they transferred from the grow out coop. Coons could possibly reach her so the next night I put her on the roost and everyone else followed suit. I checked for several nights after that but all was well.

6. crazzzymike13

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    I haven't tried that Ck. But im going to try that. That coop I actually found the blue prints on youtube. It was the first time I ever built anything like that. I even made a water system with those water nipples and PVC.

7. Cknldy

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    I thought about doing the nipple waterers but we have freezing winters so it would probably be a bigger hassle than using an ice pick on hanging waterers:)

8. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    After building a new coop as the birds grew I had to put them on the roost one at a time before they all started to use it. It's funny watching them roost now as they fight for position.

9. crazzzymike13

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    My Brabanters.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by