1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to Disinfect a Chicken Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Star Chicken, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Star Chicken

Star Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2013
    I need to disinfect my whole chicken coop, but I don't know how or what to use! I have scaly mites and am working on killing them but now I have to disinfect my coop and kill off the remaining mites. I would love it if you could help me out!

2. Messipaw

Messipaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    DE and sevin dust should do the trick

3. Star Chicken

Aug 10, 2013
    Thanks I use DE but was wondering about ho to was my coop with a hose brush and bleach?

4. Messipaw

Apr 3, 2013
    I use the liquid sevin spray all over the coop. When it dries i sprinkle the DE all over.

5. Star Chicken

Aug 10, 2013
    Ok do you know if seven spray kills scaly leg mites?

6. Messipaw

Apr 3, 2013
    I've never has lice or mites-thank the Lord. Sorry. I think the powder is best for their legs. I also heard of spreading vasaline o the their legs.

7. Star Chicken

Aug 10, 2013
    Ya I herd the same thing I was just hoping that the spray would kill the mites that were in the coop.

8. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I white wash my coop with a lime mixture yearly.

9. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Dawn soap kills ticks and fleas so I use it to wash out the coops. I make a soapy mixture then I scrub the coop down let it sit for a while, scrub down again and use a bleach water combo to rinse. Then I hose it all off with water and let the sun dry the coop. I then repaint the surfaces. Once everything is dry I add DE and fresh pine shavings in the main area and DE and Fresh hay in the nest box areas. I also have vinyl flooring in the main area under the pine shavings. It makes clean up easier. The chickens are not always cooperative so I keep them penned out of the way but once I add the pine shavings and hay they are right in there helping me to spread it out. I only do the deep clean in the spring and in the fall if I can.
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by