how to dispose of animals?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Huskeriowa, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Hi all,

I tried to do a search on this site and couldn'tt easily find my answer. I would look more but want to get my issue solved quickly. Three coons were in my yard earlier and they looked to me to have distemper. None of them could walk straight. One of the three stood up and started hissing etc instead of running which made me think it is rabid. Two of the three are dead now and the third ran off.

No official governmental entity picks up dead animals and disposes of them so I have to do it myself. Is it safe to pick them up with a shovel and throw them in a garbage bag or should I be picking them up with a shovel and burning them? There are a lot of kids and dogs etc in the area and I just want to do the right thing.

By the way, sorry for any spelling errors. My spell check isnt working for some reason.

Thanks again!

2. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Can't go wrong burying them, but that is a lot of work. Where will they go if you bag them?

3. Huskeriowa

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    They wouldnt go anywhere if i bagged them. I was more concerned that sitting in a can for a week could make something airborne that isnt good for other animals is all.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  4. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    I wouldn't bury them as something can dig them up--I would burn them to kill any disease they might be carrying!!!

5. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I would bury them.. if you bag them and dispose of them with the household trash as they decompose they will attract other predators and risk spreading what ever they have to others check with local authorities because they may not come and pick up road kill but suspicious of rabies is a whole other ball of wax

6. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Quote:Yeah I agree with calling your local authority, they may be able to dispose of potential rabid animals easily.

7. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Quote:Well, apparently they will go in a can.

8. Huskeriowa

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Thanks for the replies. Burned is better I think. Take care

9. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I buried the ones I've had to deal with, about 3 feet deep and had no problems.

10. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I am always clearing land around here so i burn anything my dogs dispatch as they will not eat it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by