1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to do feeding when pullets are living with adult hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by flockoffour, Feb 19, 2014.

1. flockoffour

flockoffour Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    West Coast
    I am about to get baby chicks and they will move into a coop with an adult hen when they are 7-8 weeks. The feed I use is not intended for chickens under 18 weeks, but my adult hen needs it, as it is her layer feed. How should I go about feeding them together? Should I use a different feed that they can both eat? Any tips or recommendations are appreciated :)

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i feed mine flock raiser crumbles by Purina from day one. they all do well and i get plenty of eggs. im not sure about putting babies in with pullets though. probably need to keep a close eye on them.[​IMG]

3. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I don't use medicated chick starter, Just pullet developer for my chicks. So when I have a brood hen with babies she eats the same thing that the babies eat. Since your adult hen is laying eggs tho she will need extra calcium from oyster shell.
    How many adults do you have? 7 to 8 week old chicks will probably be okay with just the hen but I wouldn't put the little ones in with a bigger flock until they are 3 months old or so. It would help the little ones adjust if they have a small area where they can get away from the adult or adults if need be.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by