1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to do this?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by joeyfender, Mar 8, 2013.

1. joeyfender

joeyfender Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Texas
    I have a plan for a coop, but I have a few questions. I want to just get infertile eggs from hens until I am ready to try to get fertile eggs. So do I keep the hens and roos together or do I separate them? Do the roos stay together? Can the hens stay together?

2. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Why just infertile eggs? Having fertile ones don't change the way the eggs taste at all. If you want infertile ones keep the hens away from the roosters.

As for your questions yes, the hens can stay together, the roosters on the other hand, really depends on the bird. Some roosters can be housed together, heck i have four roosters that were housed together with no fights at all. But on the other hand some roosters will try and kill each other when they are in the same area.

How many birds do you have?
    How many roosters?

3. lesgo54

lesgo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    spencer, tn
    if u put the roosters in with the hens u will get firtile eggs. keep them seperate

4. joeyfender

Mar 1, 2013
    Texas
    I have chicks right now. I currently have a 1 1/2 week old RIR and a 1 1/2 week old BJG. I will be receiving 5 silkie chicks next week.

5. Toshi

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Ah ok well you have a while to plan out anything until you really have to worry about it. Do you know how many roosters you have? Or did you get a Stright Run?

6. joeyfender

Mar 1, 2013
    Texas
    The silkies will be straight run but I'm not sure about the RIR and BJG because I got them from a school.

7. Toshi

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    School. Sounds like they did a hatch or something, well you will find out when they are about 6-7 weeks old. the roosters will show very well. Or around 4-5 weeks you can post pics in the breed and gender fourm and we can help you see which is roo and which is a pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by