how to dry chickens feathers quick

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by marvun22, Mar 3, 2013.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    again here's the situation, a racoon got into my coop killed a duck and brutally attacked a chicken's behind. here's some extra info i just figured out: i was wrong what i said before there is no internal organs damaged from what i could see. the only exposed areas are some of its meat and its poophole. so i got lucky there. either way i filled up a bathtub and bathed the whole bird in it and it definitely cleaner now. but how do i dry the feathers out. and dont say a blowdryer no one in my family posseses one. it is currently in my cattle tank with woodchips but right now there is a towel on top of the wood chips. also she seems to feel much better while she is with her friends. but tommorow it is going to be really cold. i dont want anything on her to freeze so im guessing she shoudnt go out.

2. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would not put her out with the oher chickens for awhile with open wounds they will peck at it and kill her them selfs. towl drying helped my birds when they got wet.

3. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    cary i must point out it is not bleeding and i have let her out with the rest and nothing has happened. but she isnt going out today because it is cold and snowing and blowing.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Heat lamp but make certain bird can control proximity to light. Bird will thus be able to stay warm even though thoroughly wet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by