1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to 'Easily' peel our boiled eggs...????

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by littleridgefarmer, Feb 10, 2009.

1. littleridgefarmer

littleridgefarmer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2008
    Mountains of NE Alabama
    Ok ya'll, I have been cooking for oh say 30 years and the store bought eggs are so easy to peel if done right. Typically, once they are done boiling, I immediately pour out the hot water and smack the eggs lightly in the pan by swirling the pan, then adding to cold ice water (works like a charm)...

But, try the same or even similar approach with our hens eggs...I DONT THINK SO [​IMG]...even being eggstra careful, the shells just don't want to leave the egg...Do we need to give them oyster shells or grit or something else to help with this??

Any good hints you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    It's just because your eggs are fresh...

3. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  4. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    I take a small (eyeglass) screwdriver and pop a small hole in one end. A small amt. of white comes out and makes a air pocket. It works great for me![​IMG]

5. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Try pricking the egg with a needle prior to cooking but for the most part the ease of peeling a hard boiled egg seems to be proportional to its age (older the egg the easier it peels).

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    There is a whole long thread about this somewhere. I found the ice bath afterwards to be very helpful.

7. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Seriously, read this thread. It explains it very simply, and as you'll read in the testimonials, it works every single time. No holes required!

8. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:DH and I tried this method seconds after I read this thread(link shown above). I had struggled with our eggs for months. I ended up boiling 5 dozen eggs just to make 2 dozen deviled eggs for a party! [​IMG]

This method is now the only way I boil eggs! It works like a charm every time. You do not have to "age" your eggs either. Boil them straight out of the..."coop"! [​IMG]

9. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    funny, wife and I were just talking about this Monday. while we were "peeling" eggs. Isaid that I had just seen thread about how to do it, and here it pops up ..[​IMG]

Old eggs is out of the questions because we never have anything older than 3 days because we sell all our extra eggs.. and when she decides to make deviled eggs it is like RIGHT NOW !![​IMG]

Next time I am going to poke the tiny hole and add salt to the water and give them the ice bath.. [​IMG]

10. littleridgefarmer

littleridgefarmer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2008
    Mountains of NE Alabama
    DH and I tried this method seconds after I read this thread(link shown above). I had struggled with our eggs for months. I ended up boiling 5 dozen eggs just to make 2 dozen deviled eggs for a party!

Been there done that whole deviled eggs thing....what a nightmare [​IMG]

Wow! Thanks everyone for the tips...I will read the link provided and let ya'll know how it goes!!​

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by