How to encourage a hen to go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by noobiechickenlady, Sep 7, 2009.

1. noobiechickenlady

noobiechickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2008
    I have 5 RIR and an EE. I do have a rooster. The ladies just started laying. I really would like them to raise babies without me having to build or buy an incubator. I can deal with brooding them after they are hatched if I don't get a good mommy bird, I just don't want to deal with the hatching part.

Any suggestions on "helping" a hen go broody?

2. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Well, I heard that if you let eggs gather in the nest, she MAY go broody. Im not that good with broodies, but my old hen(this was last year) went broody. I forgot to collect eggs for about 4 days and she went broody
    Good Luck
    [​IMG]

3. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Some breeds tend to go broody easier than others. Rhode Islands are not one of them. Not to say that you won't get a broody hen, just that it is less likely. While there are suggestions to encourage broodiness (search this forum), I don't personally think any of them are all that reliable.

I'd just enjoy eggs for your new layers for awhile. If you are lucky, one day you will discover a hen that is being pretty protective of her nest and isn't leaving it day after day. Then you can try putting some fertile eggs under and see how it goes.

4. noobiechickenlady

noobiechickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2008
    Okay, apparently I mistyped when I was searching cause I couldn't find anything this morning when I looked!
    Thanks all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by