how to encourage first time layers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shaggy, Nov 13, 2009.

1. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    28 weeks down --- i am getting less patient

right now the theory in my house is to go bite the bullet and buy a hen that is already laying and introduce it to the flock ---- kind of a monkey-see monkey-do type of thing

any other suggestions?

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    What breed are they? Do you have lights on them? A general rule of thumb is 14+ hours of light per day. At this time of year, you may not be getting that. Breed also could be a factor. Some start earlier than others, but I would think at 28 weeks, most breeds would be laying.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Do they free-range? Could they be laying in a hidden nest? I wouldn't try adding a new hen. For starters, you need to have a quarantine period before you can throw her in with the others, which will delay the introduction by 30 days or so. Then, you would have integration problems, particularly if you only added one hen. Last, chickens can only lay when their bodies have provided an egg for them to lay. They can watch other chickens lay all day long but if their body isn't producing eggs, they're still not going to be able to lay one themselves.

4. Pampered Chicken

Pampered Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    One of mine just layed the firct egg. They we're born in mid April. The rest haven't laid.

5. JimWWhite

JimWWhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, our first six (of nineteen) started laying pretty much right at twenty-two weeks. When we added the second six egg production ceased for almost two weeks. Teresa said she carried a crockpot down with onions, potatoes, carrots, etc. in it and sat it down next to the run. The next day we started getting eggs again. Go figure. [​IMG]

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Move the BBQ closer and closer to the coop - take about a week, by the end of the week put the salt, pepper and chicken herbs and spices on top of the grill ... [​IMG]

7. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:LOL. That's funny.

8. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Breed: 2 Buff Orpingtons and 1 RIR

Lights: no additional lights --- SE Texas -- so about 11+ hours of daylight

No Free-Ranging ... they have a 20x50 pen (no hidden nests)

i would move the BBQ closer --- but whenever i light it -- they flock around it waiting for me to drop scraps

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  9. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    My Buffs started laying at 23 weeks which is consistant with others on here. I think RIR are suposed to be relatively early to lay, so the light may be the problem. If your going to add lights, I would have them come on early in the morning, rather than in the evening. If you add light at night, when the lights turn off, the chickens will freak out with sudden darkness, so add the extra light in the morning.

Goodluck! Be patient, it will be worth it.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Read them delicious recipes from the chicken section. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by