How to encourage Hens to go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Muhammad Ahtisham Ali, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Muhammad Ahtisham Ali

Muhammad Ahtisham Ali In the Brooder

Sep 27, 2017
    Well I have got 4 Japaneses bantam 2 Asil Hens. They all are laying eggs. I just want to know that how can I encourage them to go broody?

2. JedJackson

JedJackson Free Ranging

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    Chickens go broody when they want to go broody. Making sure they're healthy, stress free and fed quality feed is a good starting point. Making a separate area in the coop that can be closed off when the hen goes broody to prevent other chickens from laying in her nest will help. And leaving some eggs in the nest, even fake ones, seems to help with some hens. All that said, hens tend to go broody most in spring or early summer when the days are lengthening. If you live in a cold climate it's probably best the hens wait til next spring to brood.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Broodiness is completely hormonal. Hens either are or aren't broody and don't even need eggs to sit on in order to "go" broody. My Silkies are so broody they get that way every time they lay 3 eggs. :barnie

That being said... making sure they feel secure and having high quality nutrients are the 2 best things you can do. In nature animals will breed and such when they feel their is an abundance of food. One way to do this is to make sure you aren't giving too many treats that diminish the protein value in the feed. 16% (as in layer feed) is the bare minimum required to sustain them. Higher protein levels promote hardier hatches and chicks according to studies... which to me also says better nutrition in the eggs we are getting from them.

The secure part, can be effected by how crowded your coop might be and how harsh the pecking order is. If everybody gets along pretty well with plenty of space then the stress should be less and hens should be happier.

JedJackson and Smuvers Farm like this.
  4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Enabler

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    The good news is that your bantam Japanese are a breed that tends to go broody.

5. JedJackson

JedJackson Free Ranging

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    Asil are also very broody.

Muhammad Ahtisham Ali likes this.
  6. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Enabler

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Good to know. I have no personal experience with the. I think they are interesting looking though.

Muhammad Ahtisham Ali likes this.
  7. Muhammad Ahtisham Ali

Sep 27, 2017
  8. Muhammad Ahtisham Ali

Sep 27, 2017
    Thank You so much. :)

9. Kabootar

Kabootar Chirping

Aug 15, 2017
    Great choice Ahtisham I always keep a bunch of Aseel hens for hatching eggs each of my Aseels go broody atleast 4 times a year and they are excellent mothers. I really doubt there is another better mother than Aseel hens in the chicken world. I hope you had success with this beautiful hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: