1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to encourage them to lay again

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fresheggs4u, Jan 14, 2011.

1. fresheggs4u

fresheggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    I have a flock of about 30 birds. 20 of them are Plymouth Barred Rock and 10 are Black Copper Marans. When winter started the most of them would not roost inside the coop. At that point I was getting about 7 eggs a day. I thought that was good considering the shorter days. One evening some storms came through and they all where inside the coop, so i locked them in for two weeks. I thought this would get them to roost inside. That it did. But 2 of my 3 rooster started fighting until my BCM died. They have all settled down and they have been outside with an open coop for about a month, The fighting started after I let them out. Since i locked them inside the coop they have laid 0 eggs. We have had three weeks of snow and temps in the single digits with highs in the low 20's

What can I do to encourage them to lay. I have lights in the coop and run that come on at 3:00 am and go off at 7:30am-

Any suggestions?

2. gibsonbuzz

gibsonbuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Coloma, Michigan
    I've been told roughly 18hrs a day of light to keep them producing eggs. Since the beginning of fall my hens went from 18 to 2 eggs a day. two weeks ago I installed an 8' strip light and timer set at 6am to 9am and 4:30pm to 11pm. They are real active now. After two weeks I now have 7 eggs after yesterdays count. And still climbing.

3. UrbanGrower

UrbanGrower Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    West Jordan, UT
    I think the goal with layers is to remove as much stress from their environment as possible. I supplement the night hours with more light, keeping them up until about 8:30pm, and wake them up at 6:30am. High protein food will help with egg production, what are they getting for feed? You could also try Cayenne Pepper (in food), it seems to boost my egg production temporarily and might start yours. Other than that I could suggest some greens and bugs plus warm water when it's feasible, but I doubt these are tried and true methods. Are they still roosting outside?

4. fresheggs4u

Dec 6, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions. They are all roosting inside now. I keep fresh water daily and feeding 22% protein laying pellets. Tried the pepper last week. [​IMG]

I may increase the lighting time. It's frustrating, this is the first winter that I have bought eggs. They are eating alot of feed. Expesive for no eggs

5. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    Quote:You aren't alone [​IMG]

6. UrbanGrower

UrbanGrower Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    West Jordan, UT
    Silly question, but do they have calcium too?

7. fresheggs4u

Dec 6, 2007
    yes oyster shells freely and feed freely

8. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Where do you find 22% protein laying pellets? All my feed store has is 16%.
    Quote:

9. gibsonbuzz

gibsonbuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Coloma, Michigan
    Addd cat food to your food to bring up protien content

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by