How to encourage them to lay again

fresheggs4u

Songster
12 Years
Dec 6, 2007
I have a flock of about 30 birds. 20 of them are Plymouth Barred Rock and 10 are Black Copper Marans. When winter started the most of them would not roost inside the coop. At that point I was getting about 7 eggs a day. I thought that was good considering the shorter days. One evening some storms came through and they all where inside the coop, so i locked them in for two weeks. I thought this would get them to roost inside. That it did. But 2 of my 3 rooster started fighting until my BCM died. They have all settled down and they have been outside with an open coop for about a month, The fighting started after I let them out. Since i locked them inside the coop they have laid 0 eggs. We have had three weeks of snow and temps in the single digits with highs in the low 20's

What can I do to encourage them to lay. I have lights in the coop and run that come on at 3:00 am and go off at 7:30am-

Any suggestions?

I've been told roughly 18hrs a day of light to keep them producing eggs. Since the beginning of fall my hens went from 18 to 2 eggs a day. two weeks ago I installed an 8' strip light and timer set at 6am to 9am and 4:30pm to 11pm. They are real active now. After two weeks I now have 7 eggs after yesterdays count. And still climbing.

I think the goal with layers is to remove as much stress from their environment as possible. I supplement the night hours with more light, keeping them up until about 8:30pm, and wake them up at 6:30am. High protein food will help with egg production, what are they getting for feed? You could also try Cayenne Pepper (in food), it seems to boost my egg production temporarily and might start yours. Other than that I could suggest some greens and bugs plus warm water when it's feasible, but I doubt these are tried and true methods. Are they still roosting outside?

Thanks for the suggestions. They are all roosting inside now. I keep fresh water daily and feeding 22% protein laying pellets. Tried the pepper last week.
sad.png

I may increase the lighting time. It's frustrating, this is the first winter that I have bought eggs. They are eating alot of feed. Expesive for no eggs

Back
Top Bottom