How to entroduce new chicks to the flock?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dean10, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Dean10

Dean10 Out Of The Brooder

I only have brahma's and want to entroduce my new brahma chicks to the main flock with their mother. On what age should i do it and will the flock members peck them? if they do what should i do?

2. PinkLady445

PinkLady445 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2014
    Chester County, PA
    I have never introduce chickens myself as I'm new to raising chickens. However, I did some research on this site because I will need to do this soon and I found this thread/article. Hope it helps. It was very informative.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

3. Dean10

Yes i red that but won't they kill the chicks on that age?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Has the broody only been out of the flock for a few days hatching her eggs? I usually separate my broody for several days inside the coop in a broody cage with food and water. On the third day when no further eggs have hatched and have been removed, I open the cage door to see if she wants to bring the chicks out. If not I close the door for another 1/2 or whole day. Eventually she will bring them out, and that door is left open for her to bring them back inside whenever they are tired, or at dusk when they are ready to go to sleep. She will protect the chicks from the others. Within a week they are usually all accepted by the flock, so I don't worry much. By then, she may also have chosen another place in the coop, maybe a nest box near the floor for her and the chicks.

5. Dean10

Ok thanks my hen is laying on the eggs but the other chickens looks helpful exept for one, there is another one that lays with that hen and looks like she tries to helpbut there's another one that go lay her eggs in that nest. but there is already lots of eggs so i take the newly laid one's to eat. so should i just leave them alone or should i take the others away?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by