How to extend the height of a chain link fence?

AmeliaBedelia

Crowing
Jan 23, 2021
Georgia, USA
My chickens have always stayed in our yard when free-ranging...until now. I think one of our neighbors seeded their lawn or something, and the ladies keep hopping the fence. It's a 3 ft tall chain link fence...I was honestly really surprised it wasn't an issue before now.

Since it is his fence, I either need to build my own, taller, redundant fence next to his OR extend his in a way that is effective, not an in-your-face eyesore, and can be removed if he decides he doesn't like it.

Also open to other ideas to keep them from hopping up there if you have any.

Any good ideas?

My chickens have always stayed in our yard when free-ranging...until now. I think one of our neighbors seeded their lawn or something, and the ladies keep hopping the fence. It's a 3 ft tall chain link fence...I was honestly really surprised it wasn't an issue before now.

Since it is his fence, I either need to build my own, taller, redundant fence next to his OR extend his in a way that is effective, not an in-your-face eyesore, and can be removed if he decides he doesn't like it.

Also open to other ideas to keep them from hopping up there if you have any.

Any good ideas?
Can you work with your neighbor to find a solution he would be happy with? Would it be possible for you to replace the 3 foot fence with a 6 foot one and keep the materials from his old fence for future projects? Idk, I know that’s an expensive option... but I haven’t really worked with chain link fence so I’m not sure on the options!

Can you work with your neighbor to find a solution he would be happy with? Would it be possible for you to replace the 3 foot fence with a 6 foot one and keep the materials from his old fence for future projects? Idk, I know that’s an expensive option... but I haven’t really worked with chain link fence so I’m not sure on the options!

A quick google search turned this up... but I’m unsure on the aesthetics of it...
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/extend-height-chainlink-fence-77224.html

I would buy long poles (probably4 to 6 feet)... maybe there are inexpensive dark colored garden stakes that you can buy...

And then buy dark colored bird net or deer net or equivalent.

Zip tie the poles to the chain link. Slide the net down the poles to weave them in place, or use more zip ties... so the net is stretched from pole to pole.

Gather up and gently tighten the entire thing. Loose bits of net will cause birds to get tangled up in the net.

Hopefully in a dark color it will tend to disappear and not be an eyesore.

Hopefully with it

Personally, I would just do something on your OWN rather than spending money on something to extend the neighbors fence, only to have them object and you having to start over and spend MORE money. And even if they OK'd something, there is no guarantee it will still be OK, next week, month or year

Personally, I would just do something on your OWN rather than spending money on something to extend the neighbors fence, only to have them object and you having to start over and spend MORE money. And even if they OK'd something, there is no guarantee it will still be OK, next week, month or year
This is true...I also think they rent, so the landlord or next tenant may have completely different ideas about what is and isn't acceptable. I'll try pricing out the bird netting idea to see if it's worth it even if temporary, since it would be fully removable.

I would buy long poles (probably4 to 6 feet)... maybe there are inexpensive dark colored garden stakes that you can buy...

And then buy dark colored bird net or deer net or equivalent.

Zip tie the poles to the chain link. Slide the net down the poles to weave them in place, or use more zip ties... so the net is stretched from pole to pole.

Gather up and gently tighten the entire thing. Loose bits of net will cause birds to get tangled up in the net.

Hopefully in a dark color it will tend to disappear and not be an eyesore.

Hopefully with it

x2. You can get 6' tall U-posts and then just hang netting across it using the little tabs sticking out to help guide you. The existing chain link will help support the taller posts.

Not exactly the same, but:

coopnew1.jpg

x2. You can get 6' tall U-posts and then just hang netting across it using the little tabs sticking out to help guide you. The existing chain link will help support the taller posts.

Not exactly the same, but:

View attachment 2545144
Thanks! The visual really helps!! If I can talk the spouse into "blocking the view," this may be what I try. Do you know how close I need to space the posts?

Thanks! The visual really helps!! If I can talk the spouse into "blocking the view," this may be what I try. Do you know how close I need to space the posts?

I have mine spaced roughly every 5' or so. If the netting (or whatever fencing material you use) is fairly light, really shouldn't need a ton of poles.

Back
Top Bottom