HOW TO FATTEN UP ADULT TURKEYS

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by auburnroze, Dec 29, 2014.

1. auburnroze

auburnroze Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2014
    WA state
    I am new here, this is my first post. Hope I do this right......lol

I have 8 turkeys that I raised from day old ....I sold them around 3 months ago....they were fat enough to be processed. I was given them back a couple weeks ago and they are beyond thin. The Royal Palm tom died in transport...we chose to butcher him out for the dogs. I was so upset. There was NO meat on this bird. I could put my finger/thumb around his thigh. There was no meat on his breast....it was so depressing knowing how fat i sold him at. These birds were hatched in April I believe. So now I have these birds that I have to pour the food back in them......I wish I had the money I had in them when i sold them......
    Anyways.......MY QUESTION: I am feeding them Layer Pellets, Purina Flock Raiser, and bread. Any suggestion on how to fatten them up would be greatly appreciated..

If any one is in WA state.........I would be willing to sell these birds.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Sounds like they were starved or otherwise mismanaged.
    You're looking for muscle tissue growth, not fat. For that they need protein as well as a balanced ration for fats, vitamins and minerals.
    Are the hens laying eggs?
    I would cut out the layer pellets, which is likely 16% protein and too high in calcium for birds not making egg shells.
    Cut out the bread, too much salt and too low in protein.
    I'd stick with just flock raiser since it's 20% protein or maybe even mix in a little game bird starter with it.
    Have a fecal sample read for worms.

3. inioluwa

inioluwa Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    nigeria
    Pls I need help I want feed formular for my 20weeks parent stocks turkeys for good production and fertile eggs

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    @inioluwa Where do you live and do your breeders free range? Are they heritage breeds or broad breasted?

Heritage breeds need a little different feed than commercial breeds/varieties.
    Chicken feed isn't the best for breeder turkeys as they have higher vitamin and mineral requirements.
    Here's a good write-up for you.
    0-6 week poults need about27% protein and 20% to maturity and breeders about 17% but adequate levels of all amino acids are important, especially lysine and methionine levels which are low in vegetative sources.
    http://albc-usa.org/documents/turkeymanual/ALBCturkey-4.pdf

5. retlaw

retlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Give them an assortment of feed to choice from so they can use whats best for them.
    eg. Whole corn, whole oats, game bird pellets (high protein).

Maybe some chicken eggs.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  6. chknoodles

chknoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    And don't forget to include free choice calcium when your girls get close to laying time.

7. Norton1808

Norton1808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2014
    La Coquille, France
    Hi, you have suggested chicken eggs, can you feed turkeys, turkey eggs???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by