How to feed chickens in the winter 🥶

ChickenDude12345

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
Northern NH
So I keep my feeders and waters just outside my coop next to the ramp leading up to the pop door. Overtop is a piece of plywood protecting the feeder but when it rains really hard the feeder does get wet a tiny bit. My coop is really too small to keep the feeder and water inside and the indoor feeder and water I have a very small for 11 chickens. It would work but it’s not ideal. Should I try to cover the sides of my run and top or put the feeder and water inside

I believe there is a thread that covers wrapping plastic around the run. The plastic keeps the wind off the chickens. Cold is not a (huge) problem, wind is. I haven't done it yet but plan on it after it gets colder. Chickens are very hardy, woodland creatures. They can take very cold temperatures. I am in NJ and have had a couple days of frost already. They did not mind at all. They still left the run to forage and hung out under their favorite trees/bushes.

I believe there is a thread that covers wrapping plastic around the run. The plastic keeps the wind off the chickens. Cold is not a (huge) problem, wind is. I haven't done it yet but plan on it after it gets colder. Chickens are very hardy, woodland creatures. They can take very cold temperatures. I am in NJ and have had a couple days of frost already. They did not mind at all. They still left the run to forage and hung out under their favorite trees/bushes.
Do you think there is anyway to block out the run from snow so I don’t need to bring all the food inside

Do you think there is anyway to block out the run from snow so I don’t need to bring all the food inside
Something like this? Notice large gap at top walls and a complete open east facing wall. Snow gets in, but allows for ventilation. Pictures of your coop could help get better suggestions.

Attachments

• 1636056916475.png
    1636056916475.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 22
You'll probably want to winterize your run -- but don't close off too much of the ventilation.

You could also make a more weatherproof feeder/waterer shelter. Mine is freestanding in an open pen, but the concept works anywhere: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/an-outdoor-shelter-for-the-feeder-and-waterer.76487/
How should I go about winterizing it? Is there anyway I could keeps snow off of it, here is a picture of my feed a waterer set up. I have a small piece of plywood above the feeder but it’s not enough to stop snow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    853 KB · Views: 24
  • 2CEC6CAE-F2BF-4823-9D41-D5EFA0930A7B.jpeg
    2CEC6CAE-F2BF-4823-9D41-D5EFA0930A7B.jpeg
    758.5 KB · Views: 21
How should I go about winterizing it? Is there anyway I could keeps snow off of it, here is a picture of my feed a waterer set up. I have a small piece of plywood above the feeder but it’s not enough to stop snow

I'm in the south, but there are a lot of threads on winterizing that you can look at for inspiration.

You can make a shelter like the one I linked above to protect your feeder.
0412211457a_hdr-jpg.2614585

Back
Top Bottom