How to Feed Chickens of Different Ages ???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PoultryQueen29, Dec 19, 2011.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I wanted to get a 6 month old pullet to put in with my 3-4 month old pullets but I ran into the problem of feeding them. My chickens are currently eating Purina Start & Grow and should be on it until they are 18 weeks old but the 6 month old pullet would need the adult food. Could I start them on the adult food early or the other way around for the new bird? Or will this just not work and I need a bird the right age? I'm new to chickens and I really need help with this!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

By adult feed, do your mean a layer formula?

All of the flock can eat chick starter (non-medicated), grower, or an All Flock, Flock Raiser type feed. Just offer shells on the side for the laying hens, as other juveniles don't normally mess with them too much. Make it easy on yourself, if they are all in one coop/run.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Fred's Hens :

All of the flock can eat chick starter (non-medicated), grower, or an All Flock, Flock Raiser type feed. Just offer shells on the side for the laying hens, as other juveniles don't normally mess with them too much. Make it easy on yourself, if they are all in one coop/run.

I agree, I had some hens in with new pullets and just put them all on grower non med til the were all able to move to layer pellets. Worked out fine.

Rancher​

4. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Fred's Hens :

Yeah the layer formula. I do use the medicated feed so do I need to buy new feed? I have Dumor chick grower/finisher, too. Could I switch them to that from the Purina or will that hurt them?​

5. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:I agree, I had some hens in with new pullets and just put them all on grower non med til the were all able to move to layer pellets. Worked out fine.

Rancher

So i'm guessing I should move them to the Dumor grower/finisher. I made the switch from dumor to purina when they were 6 or 7 weeks old so will they be ok moving back to dumor?

6. Fred's Hens

All I can tell is what I do. You'll have to make up your own mind. It is said that the amprollium in Chick feed is OK for laying hens and the eggs safe to eat. I dunno. I don't want to. Once they hit the ground at 5-6 weeks, if I feed medicated chick feed, I normally wrap it up by 9 weeks.

7. Fred's Hens

DuMor is merely "generic" Purina anyhow. It's Purina packed for TSC as a house brand. No big deal.

8. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I use Purina Flock Raiser for all my chickens. I have 2 broody hens that raised chicks in the same coop & used medicated chick starter for awhile for babies & mama hen.

Put out a separate bowl of oyster shells for the hens. They know if they need it. The rest of the chickens just ignore it.

Good Luck!

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You can give them un medicated chick feed, and supply oyster shell. [​IMG]

10. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thanks everyone! I'll move them to dumor and add oyster shell [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by