1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to feed chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mrmolases2, Apr 14, 2017.

1. mrmolases2

mrmolases2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    how do you feed chickens treats like watermelon and other things if you don't have a run to put it in and how to you give them grit and calcium

2. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    I just throw the treats out on the ground. I have one rabbit feed her with calcium and one with grit. Do your chickens free range? Why don't you have a run?

3. mrmolases2

Mar 26, 2017
    well i don't have a chicken coop yet there 4 weeks olds and like almost 5 but do chickens coop that free range need runs and where will you put the rabbit feeders

4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Grit and oyster shell can just go in standalone cups or small feeders or anything like that.

Treats I usually throw on the ground or I throw on a "plate" (a planter saucer I keep around).

If you don't have a coop yet, I hope it'll be finished soon. Unless the weather is just awful where you're at, those 5 week old chicks can pretty much be out right now, if you had a coop to put them in.

5. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    My chickens free range in my yard but I also have a run. Sometimes it's handy to have a place for them to be contained without having to stay just in the coop. So I would suggest making a run, even if you barely ever use it and just keep the door open to it.
    Just put containers with grit and oyster shell somewhere in the run, or near the feeders. They may not need much great if they are free ranging.

6. mrmolases2

Mar 26, 2017
    wait have a run that you can attach or is attached and the door is just open

7. mrmolases2

Mar 26, 2017
    so the waterer would go in the coop with the feeder can you have a waterer outside when they free ranging

8. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    It's up to you (and how your set up works) to decide if you want them in the coop, out in the run, stations in both locations, etc. Birds should have access to water at all times while awake, and most folks offer free choice of food during those times as well. Whether or not you want to take those away at night (in one location or more) is up to you. I have water round-the-clock inside the coop, and have recently been putting food out only during day (3 feed stations, 1 inside coop and 2 outside).

9. rbreininger

rbreininger Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2017
    SW Wyoming
    [​IMG]

My hens are either in the coop or the run. We haven't tried free-ranging them yet.

My food and water stations are in the run only. The coop is for sleeping and nesting only.

Has worked well so far.

10. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We keep feed in the coop, water in the run. Tried water in the coop but had a couple of mishaps and didn't want the extra moisture in there especially during the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by