How to feed pullets and layers in the same coop?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PlanetCamilla, Jul 28, 2014.

1. PlanetCamilla

PlanetCamilla In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    Hi,

I'm going to have 7 pullets and 7 layers sharing a coop. How do I go about ensuring each has their own food?

I've got pullet grower for the pullets, and I've bought layer pellets, layer mash and grit for the layers.

Apart from fresh water, veggies and the fact that they free range, am I missing anything they may require?

Do I just put the grit in a bowl off to the side?

Thanks in advance

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Keep it simple - feed a grower/flock-raiser and offer oyster shell on the side. All of your birds will benefit from the higher protein in the feed vs. a layer feed and your laying birds will take oyster shell for calcium.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    BTW, the grit is for everyone - it is small pieces of rock used by their digestive system to process all feed that is not commercial processed poultry feed (good scraps, greens, bugs, etc) -- birds of all ages who eat anything other than water soluble commercial feed need grit. Oyster shell is what is for the layers - it is exactly that, oyster shell bits - which provides calcium into the birds body which is used to build the shells on your eggs.

Both grit and oyster shell are offered free choice in dishes, etc separate from the feed.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  4. PlanetCamilla

Jul 27, 2014
    Where would I buy oyster shell from in Australia? I've never heard of it.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Whereabouts in Australia are you? Chances are with a location our other Aussie members here can direct you to plenty of resources for poultry needs - though I would suggest first asking at your local feed store from where you have made your other purchases.

6. PlanetCamilla

Jul 27, 2014
    I'm in Rockhampton, Central Queensland. So I just buy it from a feed store? Is it in a 20kg bag?

7. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Being in the states myself, I have no personal experience but have done a little searching since you mentioned your location and do see that it seems (via discussions on other bird/poultry forums, etc) that folks in your area are able to find shell grit, etc in pet stores, produce stores, garden shops, etc. Also, as a side note, once they do start laying you can save the egg shells from eggs you have eaten, dry and crumble them up and give that right back to the birds - they will eat it and take calcium from tem

8. PlanetCamilla

Jul 27, 2014
    Thank you so much Ol Grey Mare. I'll go in and have a look on the weekend. I'm definitely willing to do whatever it takes for my ladies to be comfortable

9. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Songster

Jun 10, 2014
    I did some googling and couldn't find a ton of info about calcium supplementation in australia. There were some comments about liquid supplements, some comments about crushed eggshell being available commercially. There were some studies about crushed snail shell meal being used.

Essentially, anything that is small, and predominately calcium carbonate would work. Fine crushed coral gravel/coarse coral sand would probably work if you're near the ocean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: