How to feed scraps without wasting it?

MrsLahman

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
Lachine, MI
I feed my chickens scraps in a large black feed bowl (like the ones for horses, etc) but theyre constantly dumping it over and once the food hits the ground they tend not to eat it and it mixes in with their bedding. I've been trying to figure out a way to 'mount' the food but I have not been able to figure out a way that is safe. (I thought maybe skewering them on nails but that is obviously a horrible idea.) I've weaved it throu their fencing but there has to be a better way. Maybe their too spoiled and have to get used to eating off the ground, or their bedding could be too dirty to eat off. I may need to clean it out more often. I was also wondering if I should feed scraps whole (they tend to drag them around and make more of a mess) or cut it up?

So basically Im wondering how everyone feeds kitchen scraps. IDK, maybe Im being nit-picky. lol. I would just rather see the food go to the chickens then the compost.

I feed my chickens scraps in a large black feed bowl (like the ones for horses, etc) but theyre constantly dumping it over and once the food hits the ground they tend not to eat it and it mixes in with their bedding. I've been trying to figure out a way to 'mount' the food but I have not been able to figure out a way that is safe. (I thought maybe skewering them on nails but that is obviously a horrible idea.) I've weaved it throu their fencing but there has to be a better way. Maybe their too spoiled and have to get used to eating off the ground, or their bedding could be too dirty to eat off. I may need to clean it out more often. I was also wondering if I should feed scraps whole (they tend to drag them around and make more of a mess) or cut it up?

So basically Im wondering how everyone feeds kitchen scraps. IDK, maybe Im being nit-picky. lol. I would just rather see the food go to the chickens then the compost.
Only because I have way to much time available...I cut their fresh vegies and steam them.............
lau.gif

Truly, I cook all their food and they love it.
I just have not been able to adapt to not cooking big dinners now that the kids are gone.

Back
Top Bottom