How to feed silkies

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KarateHorse, Feb 11, 2017.

1. KarateHorse

KarateHorse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    I have 2 silkie roosters, 1 silkie hen, 1 silkie cockeral and 1 silkie pullet. We feed our mixed flock layer pellets and scratch and they love it. The silkies are in a different pen but we feed them the same thing. I have noticed that the silkies never eat the layer pellets they only eat the scratch. If we take away the scratch they don't eat anything. What type of feed should we feed then? They don't like layer crumble, layer pellets and they don't like mixed flock feed. Any information would we helpful. Please help it is not healthy for them to be living off scratch.

2. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I think pellets can possibly be difficult for some bantams to consume.
    I would mix crumbles with scratch grains 50/50 and toss on dry ground. Only what they can consume in 10 to 15 minutes twice a day. Decrease scratch by 20% weekly till it's 90% crumbles 10% scratch. Give them unlimited access to the feeder filled with only crumbles.
    That's how I switched my regular sized chickens from crumbles to pellets, over a 2 week period, except I mixed crumbles and pellets 50/50 in the feeder, then I added only pellets as the feeder emptied. GC

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I feed my bantam non medicated grower for the same reason. They don't like eating the pellets. I wouldn't throw a premixed ration on the ground as it could mold which will kill birds if they eat it. Scratch grains aren't as prone to mold as rations so tossing that on the ground is okay.

4. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    I have several Silkies and they will eat both crumbles and pellets. They will not eat any cat food though, lol. my son put some in there bowel and it is still there at the bottom. They don't like whole or cracked corn either. The above advice on slowly changing their feed is good advice.

5. KarateHorse

Oct 13, 2016
    Why do you feed them cat food?

6. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    I don't. My son put some in their bowl just to see if they would eat it.

7. KarateHorse

Oct 13, 2016
    Why would you let him do that? Couldn't it hurt them?

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Cat food is actually commonly given to backyard birds - (or taken by them when outdoor cats are fed in an area the birds can access) -- the high protein content can be quite beneficial during times of molt, etc and it is not anything that is going to be harmful for them

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    As to enticing finicky eaters to take in commercial feed - soaking feed can make it very palatable to them. Soaked is different than fermented (though fermenting also is reported to make it more palatable), just wet the feed and serve it as a "mash". This is also a great way to assure good hydration as it gets some extra water into them.

1 person likes this.
  10. KarateHorse

Oct 13, 2016
    Ok thanks I might try that. I didn't know feeding them cat food would be good for them. That's very interesting. What about dog food? We have some dog food that our dog doesn't like. If it is ok we could give it to the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by