How to figure...

mamamurph

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
How do I figure how much and what exactly to be feeding my hens? They are about 5 months old now and one, I believe she is my Red Sex Link (got her and the Buff Orpington mixed up after they started to look so much alike :/) started laying just this week.
I was given ooodles and ooodles of wheat from someone and have been feeding them that mostly, along with leftover table scrap appropriate for chickens. They do sometimes free range on bugs and grass.
Is there any way to find out if the wheat a lone has enough protein and everything for them to feed on?
Thanks

Wheat is lovely, but it's not nutritious enough for them and should be fed as an extra only. Since they are laying they will need more calcium in their diet now. Ideally they should be fed a formulated layer feed, with a handful of wheat now and then, as a treat or an all flock feed with crushed oystershell/egg shells in a separate feeder/container, for extra calcium.

Your hens will probably survive on only wheat and some free range, but your production won't be optimal and your birds may be more susceptible to disease and parasites. Offer them layer feed or an all-on-one/grower/flock raiser with some oyster shell on the side. Most of us offer it free choice, I believe I've read here a laying hen eats around 1/3 cup of feed a day. You can still give scraps--mine get everything we don't eat--- and scatter the wheat for them to scratch for to ward off boredom.

Thank you so much. I am learning as I go!!! Okay, I better go and get them some layer feed. Also, tell me a little bit more if you don't mind about the oyster/egg shells.
Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom