1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to fill water thru the egg turner?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kurby, Mar 4, 2008.

1. kurby

kurby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    East,Texas
    I am new here and this is my first time to do a hatch. I have my 9200 bator on and regulating the temp. How do you fill the water trays during the 21 days with that dern egg turner in there? I know stupid question right? Heck the water thing is in the middle under it, I wouldn't think you would take out the turner during a hatch right?
    Gosh help me I need 101 directions of all sorts! HELP!:eek:
    Karen

2. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

You need only to add a bit of water durring a hatch, not alot so often I just take one egg out of the turner and dribble the water through that space. Same time I candle often so I have the eggs out one at a time anyway.

3. Kentucky~Momma

Kentucky~Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    South Central Kentucky
    That is the Little Giant correct? What we do is take a bendable straw, and use a large horse syringe (without the needle) and the straw fits right into the end of the syringe. Then we can fill up the water in the gap between the turner. We also use that method when we have to add water during the last three days so we can do it without the lid coming off. The small vent holes is where we place the straw, it fits right through.

4. chicks rule

chicks rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    Kentucky~Momma :

That is the Little Giant correct? What we do is take a bendable straw, and use a large horse syringe (without the needle) and the straw fits right into the end of the syringe. Then we can fill up the water in the gap between the turner. We also use that method when we have to add water during the last three days so we can do it without the lid coming off. The small vent holes is where we place the straw, it fits right through.

Yep, this is how I do mine as well, straw and syringe,​

5. d_rooster

d_rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    North Augusta, SC
    I do pretty much the same thing, except I use clear plastic aquarium tubing to snake down through an empty egg space in the turner and inject water through it with a 60 ml/cc syringe. If adding more than one syringe of water, I usually warm the water slightly in the microwave to take the chill off before adding to the incubator.

I also use the aquarium tubing/syringe injection method to get water onto sponges in the incubator during the last few days of hatching.

Either tubing or a straw get the job done - whatever fits the tip of any large syringe that you can find.

I have a 9200 that I use as a hatcher, but if I had the turner in it, I would probably install some aquarium tubing through the wire grate and up through the turner and out a vent hole before getting started with each incubation run. Then put something around the tubing at the vent hole to seal it to keep the humidity and heat in. Crimp the end of the tubing with a gem clip to keep it closed when not adding water. That way there would be a tube installed during the whole hatch through which water could be added as needed. If done this way, I'd recommend disposing of the old tubing and installing new tubing with each hatch.

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Yep, I have a Hova Bator 1588 I ran the tubing up through a vent hole and then down through the screen into the resevior, I use a turkey baster to inject the water so I don't have to open the top.

7. kurby

kurby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    East,Texas
    Ok this gives me good ideas. Do you fill up the bator completly to start off? I did get my hygrometer today. Where should that start at?
    karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by